[03] a new start

☣ ☣ ☣  

  ☣ ☣ ☣  

CHAPTER THREE - A NEW START

LAURA COULDN'T HAVE been happier to see her dad holding up a sign of their last name in the airport. She dropped her bags, leaving them with Bella as she jumped into Charlie's arms. He laughed into her hair, hugging her tighter before standing back and having a look at her. He had heard from Renee about the boat party, but she had never mentioned what his daughter had done with her appearance. 

"You look different." Charlie observed, holding a strand of her platinum blonde hair and lifting it to her face.

She laughed in reply, "I decided that I needed a new start."

"I think it suits her." Bella voiced awkwardly from behind them, struggling to pull along all of the bags, including Laura's. Charlie turned and pulled his youngest daughter into a hug as well, although Bella looked quite uncomfortable to be honest.

"Hey, Bella." He greeted, pulling back and grabbing some of the bags from her. 

Bella nodded, "Charlie."

Ouch.

"Let's get you two home." He tried to hide the heartbreak on his face with a smile, but Laura saw it and she grabbed his free hand to pull him along. The worried mother brains were wearing off, but she still cared about her father's feelings. 

Bella and Charlie followed after her as she skipped to her father's police car and she put there belongings in the boot. Bella got into the back of the car, knowing that Laura would want to sit in the front. She also wanted to avoid talking too much to Charlie. The zombie shot another smile to her dad as they climbed into the front seats.

As they drove into town, the car stopped at a red light and Charlie looked into the rear-view mirror at Bella. "Your hair's longer."

The brunette sister twirled the ends of her hair in her fingers as she remained lost in thought. Laura looked back to her sister when she wasn't answering, "Bella."

"Hm? Oh, I- uh, I cut it since the last time I saw you." She replied to Charlie, who began driving again when the light turned green. Laura went back to looking out of the window at all of the people she had grown up with and hadn't seen in the past three months. The town hadn't changed at all, not that she thought it would have, and she liked that. A little familiarity in her life was good for her with what she had been through.

"Oh, I guess it grew out again."

They soon pulled up at the house Laura had grown up in and she opened the car door, stepping out and sighing happily at the view. Phoenix was great, but Forks would always be her home. Bella used to spend two weeks in Forks almost every summer, but it had been years since her last visit. They gathered their belongings with the help of Charlie and made their way inside to their rooms. Laura, already knowing where her room was, walked ahead and dumped her stuff on her bed to put away later. She walked into Bella's room, just in time to see her sister dropping her bags on the floor and looking around the room.