Chapter 15

Jupiter looked at me and said, "So this is everything?"

Elizabeth and I had spent the entire morning making eight beds out of leaves and vines, interlaced with my expert skill. I recalled my experience in Home Economics class, remembering how to knit perfectly and quickly.

I began suspecting my ability earlier, and the more I think about, the surer I get. I tested it every way I could possibly imagine, and came to the blunt truth.

I could access areas of my brain more than the average human could: tapping into the depths of memory that would escape the average human; heightening my senses, explaining how I am the only one to hear the trees; my reflexes sharper than ever; and who knew what else I could do. I did not believe the books that dealt in the area; the ones where they could control other people, shape time, and read minds. I did, however, realize that I was smarter than the average human. I was destined to be a thinker, but one that is alone and misunderstood.

I told no one about this, for fear that I would be forced to become the leader by default. I did not want to lead because of the responsibility, but I did not want to follow anyone else because my ideas reigned supreme. I alone could control our fate here, but do I really desire to be the keeper of survival?

You have lost the right to be human, Mac. Now, are you going to jeopardize your friend's lives too?

"Oh, the dilemma." I muttered.

"What did you say?" Jupiter kept looking at me.

I shook my head to clear the thoughts. "Looks good."

He got up and slapped the dirt off his hands. "How did you know to knit with leaves anyways? Especially so quick?"

How are you going to explain your gift? They will shun you for being superior, mock you for the answers, envy you for your mind.

"My mother taught me how to knit, so I improvised." I lied.

He took it, then walked off to join Elizabeth and Robert's conversation. I remembered Robert had a girlfriend named Allison, who was not here with us that we knew of. I used my enhanced hearing to listen in on their conversation, that she was on his mind almost constantly. Elizabeth then consoled him and said that she should not be here in this situation, that it was good she was left behind where she knew life and such.

You do not have anyone to miss you. Your family will get over you quickly and all your friends are here. You have no else to mourn you, no one to honor you, no one to live for you.

Jupiter suddenly stopped and ran off towards the jungle. Norman, Izzy, and Jerry stepped out from behind the green curtain. I looked up at the sky and saw that the sun was starting to fall, meaning it was approximately five pm Earth time. From what I have gathered, this planet or moon's rotation was roughly twenty-four hours like Earth, which is convenient. I brought my gaze back to the three, Jupiter high-fiving Jerry.

Seeing Jupiter cherish moments like that made me wish I was more human. I was always the outcast, the one that did not belong. I made others uneasy, and I was not entirely sure why. I felt alone in the world, even when I was around my best friend Norman. I was in a group, yet I felt as if I am a sole survivor. I was with equals, yet they were my insubordinates. I was terrified of being alone, yet I always cherish moments by my own self.

You're not even human. You talk to me, and now your mind is my puppet. You can do so much more, Mac. Let yourself go and accept your power.