Chapter 2

~

I took a deep breath and tasted the humid summer air. I exhaled and plugged in my earphones. My best friends were out and everyone else had plans. I was supposed to go out with Brian today, but obviously, that wasn't gonna happen. So I decided to take a little late jog after dinner. I was thinking of how pitiful i was until I remembered that there were tons of other people out there who were suffering much more than I was. I wanted to take my mind off of it so I glanced around me. When I saw no other pedestrians, I cranked up my music. It was a mashup of Stay, Whatcha Say, and Coming Home.

"Say you love me more,

than you did before

and Im sorry it's this way.

I'm coming home I'm coming home

and if you ask me, I will stay,

so whatcha say?

Tell the world I'm coming. Home."

Since no one was within hearing range, I belted out the words. I was way off-pitched, but I didn't care. Maybe it would have been smarter for me to have stayed at home and sing there, but it was too late now. Especially since I heard a person clapping behind me. I whirled around and found myself face to face with a boy at a window. He was at the same level as me, but he was still a little bit taller. He looked about my age, and he had dark brown hair. He smiled and leaned farther out of his window.

"Nice voice you've got there."

"Oh god, don't scare me like that."

"Well, I heard a voice screaming out something that sounded a lot like an ancient chant. So I decided to see this for myself. I was expecting an old cat lady, but it seems to me, I've found myself upon a pretty young maiden, doth with a bad voice." He added a horrible accent at the end.

I smirked and came closer. "Hm, should I be flattered or insulted?"

"Flattered. Trust me."

"Don't worry, I don't sound that bad. I wasn't trying to really sing."

"I hope so. Or else, I would have just seen Mrs. Perfect fail on something."

My smile grew wider. "Ms. Perfect. I broke up with Brian."

"Really? Wow. Well then, this may be a little quick but..." He scribbled something on a piece of scrap paper. "Here's my number. I expect you to sing to me someday. What's yours?"

"Unlisted." I joked.

He smiled that boy-ish lopsided grin that makes my heart race, and my mind blank. He handed the paper to me and stayed there. I just stood there stupidly, holding the paper.

"I'm sorry, what's your name?"

He laughed out loud. "Michael."

He waited expectantly and when I still didn't do anything, he saluted me jokingly and drew his head inside.

"Wait, I-"

But it was too late, he was gone and couldn't hear me. Was that a pass? It was a pass. Wasn't it? I mean, obviously. He gave me his number. Oh my god, he gave me his number. What am I supposed to do? Obviously, call him. But when? This little war I had with myself went on until I got home. I quickly showered and plopped into my bed. I realized that I was getting so worked up about it because I was with Brian for the past few years. I completely forgot how to act around other boys. Then, my phone rang. I jolted up. What if it was Michael? It couldn't be, I didn't give him my number. So I'd have to call him first for him to get my number. His number! Where did I put it? I was having a heart attack while the phone was still ringing. I remembered I left the paper next to my iPod. I breathed a sigh of relief while I pondered quickly on how I should answer.

"Hello?" I answered all girly-like.

"You sound sick. Are you all right?" It was Lily.

"Totally. Just was lost in thought." Yeah, I was drowning in my thoughts. We talked for hours and before I realized, it was almost 10:00. I had to sleep at 11:00 because I had plans tomorrow. I decided to call Michael quickly.

"H-hello?"

"Uh... hello?" He sounded groggy.

"Michael?"

"Ughhhh. WHO IS THIS?"

"Serena." I said quietly.

"Ser... Serena?" He repeated, trying to register my name in his mind. "Oh, Serena! Sorry I snapped at you before, I just woke up."

"Oh, I'm sorry. Is this a bad time?"

"No, It's okay. I just sleep at 9:30"

"Your bedtime?"

"Pretty much. Yours?"

"10-12."

There was an awkward silence.

"So... What are you gonna sing me?"

I laughed. "Excuse me?"

"I wasn't kidding about the song. How about you sing me the same song you were singing before? I want a lullaby." I could see his smirk through the phone.

I laughed and got out my iPod. My hand clumsily found the song and played it out loud.

"I don't think I can do this."

After a while of encouragement, I finally opened my mouth and began. I sang my best, even though I was nervous. When I finished, there was a silence on the other end.

"Uhh ... Hello?"

"I liked it."

"For real?"

"I like you."

"...What?"

He laughed and repeated.

"I like you. Let's go out. I mean, If this is too quick for you-"

"Oh no, no. It's fine with me."

"Cool, see you on Monday?"