Help Wanted; [1]

Jeff Atkins

Jeff Atkins.

The jock. The baseball player. The nice guy. The guy who deserves the world.

My crush.

Every time I saw him in the hallway, I immediately turned the other way. The only time I couldn't avoid him was English class. It was the only class he and I had together, much to my relief.

English was an okay subject of mine, but whenever he smiled, laughed, or even simply breathed in my direction, I lost all concentration.

Does it sound like i'm being obsessive?

I can't help it. When he's around, I can barely form a sentence, let alone have a conversation with him. If my mind doesn't deceive me, I recall Jeff and I having a single conversation in our 3 years of knowing each other. That all changed after English class today. Get ready to see me make a fool outta myself.

"Hey Liliana, you got a second?"

My forest green eyes look up from my book to meet his bright oceanic ones.

"What? OH, hi ...um... yeah, hi... Jeff... what's, uh, going on?"
Just be quiet Lili...

His million dollar smile is bright today, as per usual.

"I was kinda gonna ask for a favor. Clay isn't here today, texted me that he was sick. He's my tutor for English and you know that our paper is due tomorrow morning and I know you're awesome in this class. So, I was wondering if, ya know, you aren't busy, do you mind helping me out with it? I just need someone to look it over."

I stared at him like a deer caught in the headlights. Of course, I'm in shock that he's even talking to me, but he caught on.

"I mean, if you don't want to or you're busy, that's fine. You don't have to. I just thought I'd ask. I know you and I haven't talked much in a while, but ya know..." With that, he scratched the back of his head and was about to get up and walk away. By instinct, I reached out and grabbed his hand. He turns around and looks at me.

"I can, uh, help you, ya know... if you want me to." He smiles and I smile back. He grabs my hand in return and gives it a light squeeze.
Jeff, what are you doing to me...

"Meet me in the library after school?" I couldn't believe it, so I just nodded. He smiled, said "Great, i'll see you there Lili," and walked out.

What... just... happened...
You have a library date with Jeff Atkins, that's what.

It's not a date, Jeff just needs help on his paper.
Lili, you're passing this class with a B. Dani is passing it with an A, why didn't he ask her?

Because I've known him longer?
They're table buddies and talk everyday. The answer: He wanted to talk to you!

I smiled at the thought of it.