Signs; [1]

If I were to go over and talk to her, would she yell at me like Hannah did?

Would she ignore me?

Does she know the reputation I now carry?

"What the fuck has you in space now, Dempsey?" My thoughts were interrupted as Justin shoves my arm. I look at him and look back at the girl who has me captivated.

"You staring at the new girl, huh? Why do you always go for the weird ones?"

"She's not weird!" Justin's eyes widen at the sound of my voice. He holds his hands up in defense as he manages to let out a forced chuckle.

"Alright, man. Calm down. If you like her so much, go talk to her. Shit." I look at him and look back at her. I grab my backpack and start to walk over to her. I see her shiny auburn hair tied behind her hair as she tucks back her head as she draws something on her forest green sketchpad.

I set my backpack down as I take a seat in front of her. She looks up from her glasses, gives me a small smile, and then looks back down to her sketchpad.

"Hi there." No reply.

"My name's Zach. What's your name?"

Again, I was met with no reply. Not even a glance.

"Excuse me, I'm just trying to talk to you since you're new and all."

Nothing.

I throw my hands up as I say, "alright fine, whatever." I grab my backpack and leave.

It's Hannah all over again, I thought.

_______

Little did Zach know, Kamila, "the new girl" couldn't hear him.

She noticed his hands wave around. She looked up and felt a heavy aura. He was angry. She saw him walk away angrily. She saw another boy that seemed to be calling out for him.

Zach.

She read the name Zach from the boys lips.

She got up and walked out of the Cafeteria. She was looking for Zach.

She walked around the hallways until she saw him grabbing a book out his locker and closed it with a slam. He walked away with the same boy and entered a class that was down the hall.

Kamila opened her sketchpad onto a new page and scribbled. She ripped the thick page out of her sketchbook and folded it twice. She walked over to Zach's locker and slipped it through the vent-like pattern.

When she made sure the note did not fall out, she made her way to her art class. The one class where she felt at peace. The one class where she didn't need to hear anything. Just see.

As time passed on, Kamila made her way out of school, hoping Zach would see her note. And he did.

Before making his way to his car to go home, Zach stopped by his locker to leave his Math textbook. When he opened the small blue door, he noticed a paper fall out.

His eyes widened at the sight of yet another note. He carefully picked it up and closed his locker. He made sure no one was around him to read his note.

He took a breath as he began to read.

Zach,

I'm sorry if I made you angry earlier. I couldn't hear you talking to me. Well, if you were talking to me...

I'm deaf.

- Kamila

"Shit," he thought. He closed his eyes and rested his head against the row of cold lockers. He opened his eyes again and placed the note into his backpack.

He began walking furthur into school when he head his name, making him stop.

"Zach, bro. Where the fuck you going? School's done." He looked at Justin and nodded.

"Yeah, I know. I just have to go get something. I'll be out in a bit. Wait by the car."

Justin nodded at his friend, seemingly confused. When he saw his friends walk out the doors of Liberty High, Zach ran towards the library.

"Zachary, what a pleasant surprise seeing you in here." He smiled at Mrs. Merlini, the kind librarian.

"Hi Mrs. Merlini, how are you?" She smiled at the boy.

"I'm doing great, honey. How are you?"

"I'm great, thank you. Mrs. Merlini, do you happen to have any books or just anything on sign language?"

Mrs. Merlini smiled upon hearing this. "I do, actually. I have books and some dvds just came in."

"I'll take them."

"Now I know this isn't any of my business, Zachary, but why do you want to learn about sign language?"

Zach was drawing a blank for an answer. Mrs. Merlini took notice and decided to be a little snoopy.

"Zach, sweetie. Between you and I, does this sudden interest in sign language have to do with a certain... oh I don't know... girl?"

Zach's face felt like flames. His cheeks turned red. He knew he couldn't lie to her.

"Yes, Mrs. Merlini."

She smiled. "Does it have to do with Kamila?"

Zach nodded. "How'd you know?"

"Well for one, you can't stop staring at her when the poor girl is trying to draw in the courtyard. I have a perfect view of it," she says as she points to the window.

"And secondly," she holds her hand up and signs something. Zach looks at her with confusion. She smiles and says, "she's the only student who communicates by sign language."

"You said all that in little sign language?"

She laughs and shakes her head. "I signed "she's the only deaf" to you."

Zach nods his head as he understands what Mrs. Merlini says.

She reaches under her desk and pulls out a box and pushes it towards Zach.

"I knew you'd be coming sooner or later. I'll check it out for you in a bit. Now get going and say hello to your mother for me."

Zach grabs the box and nods. "I will. Thank you, Mrs. Merlini."

Mrs. Merlini gives him a smile as she goes back to her computer putting in Zach's check out.

Zach walks out of school and goes over to his car. He unlocks it and opens the trunk.

"What's all that?" Zach closes the trunk and gets in.

"Just some sign things Mrs. Merlini wanted me to give to my mom. That's all."

Justin nods and goes on his phone.

Zach begins to drive, eagerly waiting to get home and study.