Chapter 4: The Party

A:N: So it was brought to my attention that I didn't actually include their 100th birthday in the chapter. Im really sorry about that, but anyway heres the party, and the birthday!

***********

Angels pov

   The sun was low in the sky, as I flew over the kingdom that evening. The magnificent white orb had turned a deep orange, with hints of yellow that tainted my wings and I with the distinctive pattern of energy. I soared over the vast kingdom, ablaze with the light of the sun. Elated, I swooped down to my best friend Annabell's window. Annabell was a scholar (in training), so she lived in the castle while she learned. I knocked on the window three times fast, and two slow. I flew backwards as Annabell opened her window.

   She smiled up at me, her long red hair floated around her face in the slight breeze. I looked into her deep sapphire eyes, like a clear ocean on a calm day. With no signs of stroms of anger, and no secrets in their depths. She leaped off of her window sill and spread her wings, easily gliding up to meet me. Her hair billowed out around her face like a fiery halo, her wings stained -like mine- with the colors of the setting sun.

   We flew around towers, and over small towns in the kingdom. The stars brightened the sky when Annabell and I returned to our rooms. We sat on a couch in her room by the door to talk. I told her about my plan to swap dresses. Just then I heard footsteps, walking -well running- away from the door. It seemed strange, so I got up to check it out. I rushed to the door, and opened it, and stuck my head out through the door. The hall was empty. Whoever was there before, was gone now. I turned back into the room and looked at Annabell.

   "It could have beem someone on an errand." Annabell suggested, looking up at me from the couch. "Or...." Annabell trailed off.

   "Someone was listening to us." I finished her unspoken thought. Annabell nodded. We went back to our conversation,  but neither of us was completely at ease. Both of us wondered who had been at the door. Before I left, Annabell offered to come with me to choose my second dress for the masquerade, and I agreed absently. We decided to do our shopping the next day.

   I flew back to my room and layed down on my comfy bed.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

   Morning didn't come quickly for me. I couldn't stop worrying about the person who had been listening to Annabell and I. I wondered if they heard about my plans to swap dresses, and frowned. If they did hear, then that that means they might tell my father and ruin the fun. Well then I will just have to buy my dress without anyone seeing what it looks like.

   I got up and looked out my window. I knew that some stores were open all day and night. If we left now there would be less angels out. So again I opened my window, and spread my wings as I fell, bathed in moonlight.

   Annabell was surprised to see me again, at such a late hour. But I was going to get the dress now, and I had promised that she could come. Annabell flew with me to town to get my dress.

   We walked around the kingdom for awhile, until Annabell spotted a dress shop. The saleswoman in there was half asleep at the cash register, I don't think that she even knew that we were there. So we started to look around. Everywhere that we looked was a wide variety of colors,  fabrics and designs. Each dress there was different - one of a kind. Angels were famous for their designs and creativity, in dresses or achutecture. After an hour of examining dresses, I saw the dress.

   It was a mermaid style dress with a halter top, it was spring green with gold designs on the top. I knew instantly that this was the right dress for the masquerade. I bought it from the angel at the front desk, who was still half asleep (even after I woke her up). Then I stored it carefully in my bag before Annabell and I flew off to our rooms. Tomorrow my father would give me my dress for the ball, of course I would only be wearing it for a short time - but I wasn't going to tell him that.