Chapter 7: The Pain of Darkness

Damien's pov

   The minute after I got into my room I flopped down on my bed, I layed there for a bit. I got more and more irritated every second, so I got up and stood im front of the wall. Then I started to smack my head against the stone wall. The whole way back to the dungeons Angel had been ever present in my mind. It was beginning to annoy me how her picture was popping into my head at the worst moments. I was currently trying to rid my mind of her image when the door to my room slammed open and Kane valted into the room at lightning speed and crashed into the wall. I stared at him for a moment, then proceeded hitting my head. He rubbed the side of his face where majority of the damage had been inflicted by the wall, then looked over at me.

   "What are you doing?" He asked me, while giving me a weird look. I stopped smacking my head for a moment and turned around to answer him.

   "I was smacking my head to-" then I stopped. I mean, what was I going to tell him? I hadn't even told him about Angel yet. I sighed in frustration.  "Nevermind, just... forget it. What is it?" I quickly changed the subject to stop Kane from asking any more questions.

   He looked up at me quickly, as if he remembered something important. I noticed that he started to scuff his feet, what he always did when was hiding something. There was something that he didn't want to tell me and it was making me mad.

"What is it?" I asked again with gritted teeth. I was barely holding back my inner demons who at the moment wanted to hold Kane up against the wall and strangle him until he told me. He must have seen my expression because he jumped back with a fear - filled look. I ran a hand through my dark brown hair, and growled before continuing to glare at him. "Tell me now."

   He sighed in defeat. "Fine. It's Angel, your father wants to torture her. But don't do anythi-" but at that point I was out the door. It had been a minute before I realized that I had no idea where they were. So I sped back to the room to find Kane. He was sitting in a chair rubbing his forehead. I didn't have time for small talk, so I simply said, "where are they?"

   He looked up, while continuing to rub his head. I could actually see him thinking about my question, his eyes were unfocused and his forehead crinkled. "They should be... in the torture chamber nearest to the dungeons." So thats where I went and I wasn't happy with what I found.

Angel pov (after Damien leaves the cell)

   After Damien went of to wherever it was that demons go, I was left sitting in the dungeons. Alone. Somewhere outside the cell I heard other prisoners jeering at eachother or just mumbling nonsense, while the guards yelled at them to shut up. Most of them had been here long enough to go mad. I was hoping for a different fate. But any other options would probably be worse.

   It wasn't long before someone else stopped at my cell door. Wow, I was popular today. I looked up and saw a blonde guard with grey eyes and well defined features. In a moment the cell door was opened and the guard's hand latched onto my arm, I was pulled out of my sitting position and out of the cell. I winced as I felt a bruise form from his grip on my arm.

   I was paraded through the halls demons stared at me and one even spat on me, not that it mattered. The filth from the dungeons had almost colored me black, and my hair no longer held its usual healthy glow. I could almost pass for a demon. I looked down and was silent as the guard continued to drag me. I didn't even bother to ask where we were going, I probably didn't want to know. So I waited and eventually the endless parade through the hallways was over. But what I didn't know was that I was in for something much worse.

   The guard led me to a dark room and pushed me against the wall while gripping me neck with one hand, the pressure stopped me from saying anything... or screaming. First he put my left wrist onto a shackle built into the wall. He did the same with my right hand, then my feet. Then he released my throat and stepped back. He then smiled, but it wasn't a nice smile. I tried to hold his gaze without flinching. I wanted to ask what he was going to do, but before I could he turned around and walked straight out of the room. Then he closed the door behind him and left me in the dark. Alone, always alone.

   I waited awhile and no one came. I was getting scared, and the darkness was surrounding me, closing in with no escape. It was then that I started to panic and pull at the chains. I even tried to let my wings out, but when I did the chains burned, and made me scream in pain and surprise. Even though it hurt, I did it again. And again. Because whenever I did the chains - and my wings - would glow and make the darkness go away. But it hurt, and the chains left burn marks on my pale skin.

   The door opened moments later, letting a small amout of light inside. I lifted my head eagerly, and saw two silhouettes. As my eyes adjusted I saw that it was the devil and another guard (how many guards are there?!). I stayed silent and watched them warily, wincing as the chains rubbed agains my burned wrists. The devil leaned towards the guard and muttered, "Do what you wish, but make sure that it leaves a few marks." Then he turned back to the door and left, but not before glancing back at me, closing the door behind him leaving me with the demon in the darkness.

   The absence of light was an issue for me, but I knew that demons could see perfectly in the darkness. After looking around wildly for a moment, I closed my eyes and relied on my other senses. The second that my eyes had stopped straining to see, I could hear shuffling and objects being shifted around. I didn't want to think about what that meant, but my imagination got a bit carried away. The noise stopped, and I waited in apprehension.

   Of course because my eyes were closed I was startled when I felt a cold metal blade press into my side, it didn't break the skin - yet. I winced, but didn't make any noise when the knife sliced my side. It was shallow, similar to minor injuries that I received in training. Although, training hadn't prepared me for the deep gash the demon inflicted on my arm. I clenched my jaw to hold back my scream of pain, but still whimpered as the blood dripped onto the stone floor.

   It got worse. He slit me again with that knife, then switched to a knife that I'm almost certain was made of the same type of material that the chains were. The reason I thought that, was because when I was cut with this knife it burned. The burn seemed to slide through my bloodstream and light fire inside my body. With every wound I felt my body sagging a little bit more, as my legs gave and my blood pooled onto the floor.

   After awhile I felt... disconnected. Like I was there, but I wasn't. I idly wondered where my father was, and somewhere in my muddled consciousness I was in two places. One of me was in a dark room and chained to a wall. The other one was... floating?

   Back in the dark room I was aware of the door opening and heard the echoing boom as it conected with the wall. Almost immediately after was an outraged roar. I closed my eyes and focused on the other me, who was getting higher and higher. But also more far away. And somewhere along the way I lost the self in the room and I was back in heaven.