Chapter 12

I wanted a cheeseburger right now. Like right now.

My mind, well not really my mind but my mouth was salivating already for that tempting cheeseburger from that TV advertisement I just saw. I was craving for that good ole cheeseburger as I was surfing the channels for a better show this Friday night when almost all my friends were partying and having a good time in Aquae Locus, TGIF indeed.

I denied their invitation earlier of having the usual good time at the end of the working days seeing as I needed to prepare for that dreaded ball and the fact that I was pregnant mattered more. I didn’t want to miss a good night sleep because I needed it, a lot of it. I needed to take good care not only myself but the life forming inside of me. Being in a club, partying might not be a good idea for me while being in my first trimester.

This must had been what Tanya was feeling when she could not come with us to enjoy the night life in a city that never sleeps when she was pregnant and now that she’s taking care of her energetic angel as well as seeing the needs of her husband. That must be a lot of hard work but she’s happy...like really happy. I could see it in her eyes. A husband and a baby were her simple joys according to her...simple joy that brought profound happiness undoubtedly.

So here I was, comfortably lounging in the bigger settee in my living room while in my pink-coloured pullover nightshirt while drinking a glass of milk. I knew it was lame but once in a while I wanted to spend some time with myself and just enjoy the peacefulness of what being alone brings. These were my simple joys before but right now, the miracle inside of me was giving me intense happiness.

Right now, I wanted to eat some juicy grilled double cheeseburger with lettuce and tomatoes and lots and lots of catsup and mayo with maybe some fries. Should I or should I not eat those? I’d been asking myself that question for a few minutes taking in the pros and cons of eating that not so healthy food but I was really craving like I couldn’t sleep if I didn’t eat those, so I gave in. The problem was I wasn’t keen on going out to buy those.

Wait, what’s the use of home delivery?

“Where’s my phone? Where’s my phone?” I mumbled to myself as I was suddenly excited. I couldn’t wait to get my hands on those lip-smacking foods. I found the phone on my bed but I was so distracted with the images of different varieties of cheeseburgers popping out of my mind to notice that I had a phone call I unexpectedly answered without looking who it was.

“I want a cheeseburger, please,” I blurted out almost begging without saying any hellos thinking that it’s one of my friends checking up on me.

“Interesting greeting, is this how you answer your phone calls?”

“What?” I backtracked and checked my screen to see who it was. It was an unknown number but the voice seemed familiar.

“Cal...Callum?”

“Yeah, it’s me. So what’s with the cheeseburger?”

“Nothing, how did you get my number?” I inquired as I plopped down on my bed and my excitement over cheeseburger slightly vanished.