Chapter 17

Always be my one phone call

All I want, all I need is one phone call

I'm gonna leave my message at the tone

Begging pretty baby please come home

Cause you're my one

Always be my one phone call...

The song went on with beautiful melancholic lyrics and melodic rhythm floating through the air inside my apartment as my mind drifted to that particular phone call I’d been waiting the whole week.

Everything seemed complicated and blurry since that afternoon I ran off. My mind and heart were bickering since then, wondering if I made the smart move of fleeing away instead of confronting him. My head cleared as I inhaled a lungful of air but I couldn’t just turn back around as my feet already made the decision for me, planting myself in front of that Bethesda Fountain.

I was just too emotional and prideful, but whoever woman isn’t?

I must admit, I was hurting and disappointed when I didn’t feel his presence following me. However, this wasn’t some fairytale where a prince run after his princess to sweep her off her feet and kiss her senseless. This was reality... my reality and it hurt like hell to realize that I wasn’t worth pursuing at all.

Life sure knew how to throw lemons on my direction as I started that plan of mine rolling. That’s just dandy... a peachy slap on my face.

The phone ringing across from me made me dove to the soft duvet of my bed as I flipped my large yellow pillow to gather that high-tech device from under it. I checked the caller ID momentarily and my spirit dropped as I groaned. That’s just what I needed as I chuckled sarcastically to myself.

“Hello - ,”

“Andrea Macie, why aren’t you at home now?!”

“Mom, I’m perfectly comfortable at home now,” as I turned down the volume of my stereo.

“Don’t get smart with me young lady. Your dad and I were expecting you since you promised to visit this weekend.” I could literally see my mom shaking her head, reprimanding me even though we’re miles of cable apart.

“Mom, I’m sorry okay. An emergency came up which prevented me from coming down there in Staten. Don’t worry I’ll be spending Thanksgiving there.” I reasoned out as I was slightly guilty. Truth be told, I forgot it behind the chaos of my personal life.

“What’s the emergency?! Why? What happened? Are you okay?” came the frenzied but worried voice of my mom. Well, that’s Amanda Quinn for you – nagging all the time, assuming worst sometimes but a loving mother all the way.

“Mom, calm down okay? I’m fine, nothing happened.” Just marvellously pregnant, I added silently as I ambled back to my living room. “I just got caught up with work. That’s all.”

“Work?! I swear Andrea if this goes on, I might be tempted to march over to your office and demand to your boss to give you some vacation. You need to rest and relax for awhile sometimes.”

“Mom, don’t you dare do that. I’m resting just fine.” Why did I feel like she’s sounding more like Callum, or wait – was it Callum sounding more like my mom?

“Just make sure of that young lady and get your butt here on Thanksgiving or you’ll be sorry wiggling your hot butt as I set it on fire.”

You’re making my ears bleed already. “Hold on to your torches mother. I’ll be prompt and early next week,” I replied exasperatedly as I plonked down on the sofa. I massaged my temple as I could already feel the start of a headache at this very early of the day.