Step - 2

Edit yourself

Editing is a tough skill to learn for beginner writers, because they place immense value on the time and effort they put into writing in the first place. However, a lot of writing is actually rewriting, and this is where the cold, hard eye of an editor will serve you well.

Develop the discipline it takes to eliminate extraneous words (more on this shortly). Resist the temptation to wax lyrically and get to the point. Not sure if a paragraph works? It probably isn't. Be tough on yourself, and know when to delete or rework something. Your work will be much stronger as a result.

Be an avid reader

This isn't only for Wattpad, this rule applies even more in real life since there are so many professional writers you can look up to. To know how to write about a particular scene, capture attention, general culture, widening your usage of words and straightening out your grammar, you have to read. Check out writers writing in entirely different subjects and styles. Observe what you've read, the author's technique. These will help you find your own way of writing. 

Try having a trusted reader

As the famous author of Stardust, Coraline, American Gods and many more, Neil Gaiman said: "Remember: when people tell you something's wrong or doesn't work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong." 

The ones whom you share your story with first can help you find out what is missing. However, they can't interfere with your writing, you are going to write that novel/novella/novelette, etc. 

*****

We will give you tips on editing thing in later chapters.