Ch. 17 - They're Coming...

"Here are the health forms for week one resident campers," Zayne explained, hurriedly shoving a mountain of papers into Eve's hands, "you'll need to check in any and all medications, ask these three questions, conduct a head check, and send them to the runners."

Eve glanced at the throng of counselors-in-training and nodded despite the overwhelming task,

"Okay."

He motioned toward a long white table,

"Gloves are over there, you'll need them for lice checks. I'm leaving Scooby here to help you," the smallest CIT with a mop of sandy brown hair perked up at the sound of his name, "he's good and he's done check-ins before."

Eve smiled at the baby-faced teenager and he immediately turned a raucous shade of crimson.

"Come here, Scoob," Zayne called, consulting his clipboard.

Scooby scampered over and smiled, revealing an impressive tin-grin,

"Yes, boss?"

"You're with Nurse Eve for health checks."

Scooby glanced up at her with wide chocolate eyes,

"Okay!" He squeaked.

Eve smiled back cordially,

"Pleasure to meet you, Scooby."

The young man nearly fainted on the spot,

"Y-y-y-you too," Scooby stammered.

He stared at Eve for another uncomfortably long moment before clearing his throat and heading over to the check-in table to get things situated. Eve could see Zayne's eyes following Scooby's retreat with amusement.

He sighed,

"Damn it, Eve. There's the first love-sick teenager of the season that I'll have to deal with."

Eve adjusted the hem of her jean shorts (which had started creeping up into dangerous territory) and rolled her eyes,

"Exaggeration, much?"

Zayne's gaze followed the work of her fingers and swept over her full thighs,

"Can't say I blame him." He mumbled appreciatively.

Eve huffed but cracked a smile. She was growing accustomed to the innuendos and lame pick-up lines the staff frequently used on one another.

"Take a picture, it'll last longer!" She chirped, striking a pose.

Zayne winked,

"Don't tempt me."

Eve stuck out her tongue and turned on the heel of her new purple Chaco sandals. Her camp-appropriate footwear had arrived that morning and Auden was right, they were hella comfortable.

"Have a blessed day, Zayne," she called over her shoulder, "Jesus loves you!"

Eve grinned at the sound of Zayne's chuckle and sauntered toward the health station.

 Scooby was sorting out straws and she raised an inquisitive brow,

"Straws?"

Scooby glanced up and swallowed several times before responding,

"We use them to lift the hair for lice checks."

"Oh, I see," Eve replied, taking her seat.

She pulled the tower of paperwork toward her and glanced over the first page.

"Bryson Cook," she read the camper's name from the top, "let's see..."

She scanned the basic information and skipped down to the medication list at the bottom.