|the first kiss|

Hey Lovelies! I decided to try writing a short story this time round after I completed my second book (The Marriage Contract).  Do let me know if you guys like the story<3 

We're heading deep

Inside lives a voice, a voice so quiet

But I can't hear that voice when your heart beats next to mine

I bobbed my head along to Ariana Grande's Cashmere Cat as I made my way home under the clear skies that afternoon. I was in a pretty good mood today as mom baked my favorite food, or should I say snack—chocolate chip cookies.

I prepared myself as what came next was the chorus and mouthed along with Ariana Grande.

I can't quit you

I can't quit you

I can't quit you

Just as I was getting into the moment, I bumped head first into something hard. It wasn't a wall, no. I wish it was. When I looked up, a pair of warm brown eyes was staring straight into mine. I blinked a few times. Boy, was he gorgeous. "Are you okay?" He asked gently with that slightly husky voice of his.

Holy—

I shook myself out of my reverie. "Uh yeah, I'm f—," I wanted to say, but was interrupted as my legs gave way under me. Shoot.

I closed my eyes as I braced myself for the fall but I didn't feel anything except for something soft against my lips. What?

My eyes snapped open and were met with the stranger's, his eyes just a few centimeters in front of mine, reflecting my own shock. Both of us jumped back at the same time and my jaw dropped. What just happened? Did I just lose my first kiss to this stranger? Sure, he was hot, but I'm pretty sure this isn't a valid reason. I wanted to save it for somebody I really had feelings for, but this...

Thinking about it angered me and before I knew it, I headbutted the stranger before running away as fast as I could.

*

*Huff huff*

I tried to catch my breath as I sat on my bed. You're right, I'm not an athletic person. My mind replayed the kiss that happened just a few minutes ago and my fingers went up to my lips automatically. I couldn't deny that my heart sped up, even if just a little. 

I recalled the stranger's dark, soft-looking hair, that was styled messily. His long, dark lashes which framed his equally dark, gorgeous eyes. His well-defined features, and his lips... Who was that guy? I've never seen him around before. 

"Aria! I'm done baking the cookies, they're in the kitchen," I heard mom shout from outside my door and shook my head vigorously as if to shake away the thoughts I had. 

"Coming!" I shouted back and proceeded to change out of my clothes into comfier ones. After I was done, I went to the kitchen and could smell the aroma of delicious baked goods from the entrance. This was all that was needed to lift my spirits.

"Mmm, it's delicious," I told my mother who was sitting on the sofa in the living room and she winked in response. I placed a few cookies on a plate before plopping down on the side of the sofa which was opposite my mother and stretched my legs, making myself comfortable. This caused my mother to shake her head at me but I smiled cheekily at her before switching on the television. 

"Oh, I almost forgot," my mom started and I turned to look at her. "There's another family moving in next door," she told me. That explains the renovations that had been going on for some time next door. 

"Have you met them?" I asked my mom, curious. She nodded, "I met Mrs West when she came to check on the renovations a few days ago. She seemed like a nice person," mom replied. "That's nice," I mused and returned to eating my cookies. I wonder how my new neighbors are going to be like. 

"One more thing. You're going to have to take the bus to school tomorrow," mom informed me. "What? Why?" I asked, frowning. I hated bus rides to school, they were squeezy and well, squeezy. "My car is being sent for repairs, I'm using yours," she stated matter-of-factly and I sighed, carrying my empty plate to the sink.

As I was walking up to my room, my phone buzzed with a message from my best friend, Lucille, or Lucy for short. We have been friends for as long as I remember and we are currently attending the last year of high school. 

Lucy: Hey! Wanna join me for a movie:) 

Me: Sure!

I texted back.

After Lucy replied with the details of the movie, I went up to get ready as the movie was in an hour's time. 

*

I looked at my reflection in the mirror. I had on a plaid shirt which I paired off with my favorite white denim shorts and black converse. After grabbing my backpack, I made my way to the cinema where I met up with Lucy.

"Woah...what's with your fancy get up?" I questioned when I saw my friend. Lucy had curled her chestnut brown hair and was wearing a dusty pink off shoulder which reached her knees. She paired her outfit with a pair of silver heels that had a strap around her ankles. She looked pretty. 

"There's this guy that I have been crushing on. He's in the same Chemistry class with me and I overheard that he's going to watch a movie with his friend today," Lucy whispered in my ear. "So this was the reason behind this sudden movie invite," I said with an exaggerated sigh while shaking my head. "I thought you wanted us to spend some time together," I exclaimed dramatically, putting on a disappointed face. Lucy giggled, "stop with your over-exaggerated acting." 

"Fine," I smiled. "Where's he?" My curiosity kicked in and I looked around excitedly in an attempt to spot my bestie's crush. "He went in already, let's go!" Lucy told me as she dragged me by my arm into the theater. 

Once we sat in our seats, Lucy nudged me and signaled to the guy beside her. 

I turned to look at Lucy's crush, he's quite a looker with his blonde hair gelled up neatly and chiseled face. 

I shook my head, "you even got the seat beside him?" I whispered to her. She nodded and tried to muffle her giggle. "Were you stalking him?" I asked, surprised and she shook her head. "I was lucky, he was in front of me when I was queuing for the ticket," she giggled. "But you still eavesdropped on his conversation," I stated and she shrugged, "I don't really do such stuff, but I really like him." I nodded my head meaningfully. "If you really like him, then do your best," I cheered her on with a smile and she nodded with conviction.

That was the end of our conversation as the movie started playing on the large screen.