•11•

Annie grips my hand to keep me from falling l, because she already knew. Somehow Caesar and Brandon finish their talk and Brandon walks back. I avoided his gaze.

I wasn't mad, I was confused. Sad? Maybe? I wasnt sure. I didn't hear the other interviews. I walked with the other tributes and pushed into an elevator.

Luckily, Brandon was on that elevator, but Annie and Finnick had waited for the next one up. I push he number four on the elevator and once the doors have finally shut and it was just Brandon and me on our level.

"I want answers." I whisper and turn away from him and look at the table set up with deserts. "Now."

"A few years ago." Brandon says it like he's rehearsed it. Then I realize he did. But not for me. "One of my friends a few years older than me told me he was leaving. Running away. His name was Ty."

I sigh. I know that name. I know that name but there was no way I could place a face on it.

"You recognize that name, don't you?" Brandon asks.

"Keep going." I say harshly.

"I asked him what I could do for him. I meant to make him stay, but he didn't realize. All he said was 'watch out for her'. I told him I would. That's why I'm here."

"Who was the boy. Who is Ty." I wanted to hear him say it.

"I think you already know."

"Just tell me! Just tell me so I can get on with whatever life I have left!" I didn't mean to scream but I didn't take it back.

"Your brother! Your brother tries to leave and he was captured by he Capitol! And now he's here to serve you as an Avox!" I wish the blow would've hurt less, but it only hurt more to see the elevator door was open with Annie and Finnick standing inside.

I turn back around and cover my face. It was easier if I didn't think people could see my face.

"And he's right in front of you." Brandon says. I hear his footsteps fade away, but I can't bring myself to look up.

I didn't remember my family but it just made me hurt worse when I realized at least one of them still loved me and I couldn't even remember them.

A voice comes close beside my ear.

"The cameras in here didn't hear don't record sound. Not in this room. Just don't show recognition. He knows this." Finnick mutters.

I nod and stand up, facing Finnick not the Avox.

Better now than never. I turn and see a soft faces Avox with blond hair like me and the same blue/green eyes.

I watch the way he swallows. It looks so strained. I wanted to talk to him.

His face was stern, maybe because any sign of caring would cause him to be tortured.

"One thing." I say quietly, even if the cameras can't record what I say. "Are they all okay?" I don't know why I care. He nods and I nod back. "Thank you."

He was the first to walk away. I walked away after that and went straight to my room.

•••

This was my last night before the arena. I was already in shorts and the biggest shirt I could find in my drawers when I walked through the rooms to the kitchen. I ask one of the Avoxes for two mugs of the hot chocolate and take them to Brandon's room.

He wasn't asleep, just like every other Tribute in the building.

"Are you okay?" He asks me. I didn't say anything. I didn't move from the doorway.

"I brought hot chocolate." I tell him. He stands up and walks over to me, taking one of the cups.

"You can sit down, you know." He says. I sit at the bottom of his bed. He sits in front of me. "I'm glad you came. I didn't want to be alone. Not tonight."

"Me neither." I answer and sip at the frothy liquid. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"About your brother? He didn't want you to see him until today." Brandon answers.

"Why?"

He pauses. His face turns stiff.

"Please don't get mad at me. I couldn't do anything" Brandon whispers to me. Somehow I feel calm and I don't care what he's about to say. I nod. "Some of the Avoxes think whatever life they are living is better than none but not all of them do. Ty doesn't think so. He doesn't want to live like this anymore. They prepare food, it isn't hard for them to hurt themselves. He's going to kill himself tonight."

I play with his sheets for a minute. The same silky fabric mine are made of.

"I don't blame him." I answer slowly. I think of his face. The brother I didn't really know. "I wouldn't want to live like this either."

We both share a moment of silence until he says something.

"We might be dead by morning." I say.

"No you won't." Brandon tells me. "I promise. Now I'm extending my promise from one person to the other and I'm promising you I'll keep you safe."

"And what if you just can't?" I ask him.

"You can win this by yourself, Kya. I'll be there if you make a mistake, but after I die..." he drifts off and I let him contribute without interrupting. "After I die I don't want you to stop trying. Then my life will be a waste. A complete waste, so please don't give up."

I look at him for a minute. He promised me if I died he would go back home, but I haven't promised him a thing.

"I won't." I whisper. "I won't give up."

In his way of thanking me he pulls me to him and wraps one arm around my shoulders and puts his lips to my head.

I could've stayed like that forever.