Prologue

Prologue

August 2046, The Cygnus System

Admiral Lee Adama had known for the past six months that this moment was arriving. So did every other person who had sailed from The Colonies to Earth, all those years ago. It wasn't something any of them wanted to see, but they had no choice. The path to The Colonies led this way.

Admiral Adama was the Master of the Colonial Class Battlestar William Adama. He was the overall military commander of a fleet of fifty-six ships that had left Earth just under two years ago, with their ultimate destination being The Twelve Colonies. The mission of The Fleet was to scout the condition of the planets and its survivors and to return to Earth with the outlines of plans to re-colonize the twelve planets. It was the first step in a process that would probably take a century to accomplish.

Along with the William Adama, a second Colonial Class Battlestar, the Laura Roslin, anchored the fleet. Commanded by his long-time friend Admiral Kara Thrace-Bond, the Roslin and the Adama were capable of deflecting any attack on the fleet the lead, or at least that was hoped. So far, the journey had been uneventful.

That was about to change.

Back on Earth, around 2035, when the mission was well into the planning stage, Dr. Gaius Baltar, along with scientists from Earth were busy plotting the path that the then non-existent fleet would take to return to The Colonies. Years before, scientists like the late Stephen Hawking had discovered a planet that they called "Earth's Cousin", in the Cygnus Star System that The Fleet was currently navigating. The Exoplanet had been given the name Kepler 452b, as the Kepler Space Observatory had made the discovery in 2009.

When Doctor Baltar and others from The Colonies had studied the information, they had come to the realization that this Exoplanet might be known to them. It wasn't a sure thing, as there had been so many variables in Galactica's journey after the Holocaust to Earth to be certain, but he had his suspicions. But he knew those suspicions wouldn't be confirmed till The Fleet that would travel back to the Home Worlds was about six months away from Kepler 452b.

Six months ago, the Deep Space Explorer Nelson Mandela had scouted the Exoplanet, and Gaius' hunch was then confirmed.

Kepler 452b was the old Cylon World of Earth.