Dance Along the Glades

I encountered many beasts when I was a youth. Native to Winterspring, were many things. However, I never suspected to see a troll.

It was a late night practice session I had that day. My sister assigned me to retrieve several hides of bears down south. I wasn't necessarily familiar at the time how far to navigate down south. So I suspect I walked at least an hour or so. I couldn't find bears, but I had noticed a trail of smoke visible by the moonlight.

Winterspring was mostly untouched by the outer world. It was a time where even the Kaldorei were not aligned with the Alliance. So you can imagine how secluded our little village was. It was easy for me to assume someone I knew could be camping out. So I headed towards to the smoke.

The trees were heavily dense and making my way through bushes and foliage made plenty of unnecessary noise. Even more with the layers of snow beneath my boots.

Crunch, crunch, crunch.

I could see the campfire light emitting brighter and brighter the closer I got. It smelled of cooked meat, although I wasn't sure of what type of cut.

I heard a strange, deep and crooked voice speak out.

"What?" I replied back.

It spoke again and I could not make use of its words. I was worried I stumbled upon a furbolg, not knowing entirely how to converse properly with them.

So I approached closer to make myself visible and present myself as non-hostile.

The voice went crazier and more defensive in its tone.

"Rah rah rah!" is all I could make out of it.

I peeked my head out of the trees and saw the strangest looking thing.

Tall, lean, and blueish in color. Long ears and tusks coming out of its mouth. Even more frightening was its feet! Two toes for its feet!

"Rah rah rah rah rah!" It went on, without noticing me.

At the time I wasn't aware of races besides Kaldorei and Furbolgs. Everything else was considered a beast. Minus the whisps of course. I didn't know if it was hostile, or friendly. I was never taught to attack something without knowing what it could do. Observe first.

I noticed its compound was loaded with crates, hides, utensils, and most importantly a tent. The tent seemed to have the capacity to hold two beings. Along side the tent was a weapon rack. Equipped with it was a long spear with colorful feathers attached. Next to the spear was a sturdy wooden bow, although no quiver was to be found.

"Do you speak my language?" I said aloud. I didn't know what to assume of the being. He was unarmed.

"Elf!" It said.

I didn't know how to present myself to the strange being so I curiously threw my satchel at him. Nothing important was inside for me to worry. I look back at it now wondering why I did such a stupid act.

The being was startled at the thump but ran to the satchel and investigated. He didn't seem to alarmed.

"I'm coming out," I announced seeing he was not approaching with his weapons.

I came out of the woods standing behind one of the crates that were stacked. The being immediately stood up, his eyes bewildered in curiosity.

"Elf!" It said again but pointing at me.

"Elf," I responded by placing my hand on my chest. I pointed at his ears and back at mine, "Are you, Elf?"

He shook his head as he caressed his own ears. He then placed his hands on his tusks, "Zandalari!" He beckoned me over however I did not move.