Chapter IV: Taste for Blood

Bryan Ayer's Condo, Park Avenue, NYC, September, Friday, 20.30 P.M

Michael stood in the elevator draped in sweat. He struggled to find the right floor as the gold-layered display of buttons in front of him grew blurry. As he finally found the button for the ground floor, Brian came running towards him. He stopped the metal doors from hugging eachother with an extended arm.

Michael thought he looked both tall and scary now, even though Brian really was kind-hearted and of average height.

"You got a phone call" Brian gasped as he motioned for Michael to exit the elevator. Brian too was sweating. Michael looked at the phone with a confused look.

"You left it on the sink. It's your sister. She wants to know something about Jade or whatever. Shit, I'm so fucked up". From what Michael could see of his face, Brian's pupils were almost as big as his irises. He was indeed fucked up, and judging by his own condition he figured he looked worse for wear.

He snatched the phone from Brian's hand and coughed as he did. "Lisa, why are you calling me?"

There was crying on the other end. He thought he could hear the little kid he was planning to kill laughing in the background.

"Mikey..." she began. "Jade is all upset and says you left her and little Lucius." He tried to brush it off.

"Whatever this is, it doesn't concern you, Lisa". She was quiet for a moment with the exception of some audible sobs. "Are you in Long Island, sis? Are you... staying at our house?" Her voice was hesitant.

He felt stressed out now and wanted more than ever to shoot Jade between the eyes. Jade had appearantly sunk so low that she had to consult his own sister to sort out her troubles. And paradoxically enough, she was the source of the troubles Michael thought. "Jade has a fucked up perspective on things" he whispered to himself.

"No, I'm staying at our auntie Louise's house. If you two are having trouble, Mikey, you need to tell me right now."

Michael found it hard to think clearly with the cocaine hijacking every brain cell, but he made an effort. This much was clear: There was a roadblock in his plan and that roadblock was Lisa.

However, if she truthfully stayed at Aunt Louise's house that would be at least a street away from where Michael's old house was. Even if Jade screamed on the top of her lungs from the torture he'd put her through, it was impossible that Lisa would hear it. 

He calmed himself with this thought and told himself it would all work out. Besides, he'd rather shoot himself than his little sister. His baby sis was the soul definition of rightenousess, despite her sometimes unbearing temper issues.

"We're just taking a break from our relationship, Lisa. Don't worry about me, I'm fine." When she spoke next she didn't just sound sad, but angry at him. "Where the hell are you, Michael! You left your goddamn house" she screamed.

He hadn't spoken to Lisa in a year because of business, and here he was trying to calm her unbearing temper with a nose that had snorted the most fucked up cocaine he'd ever come across.

"Oh, I'm staying at this really nice hotel with 5 stars in Upper East New York. It's just... It's just so amazing I can't believe it." He felt stressed out. His body temperature seemed to rise by the minute. "Michael!" she cried in a demanding tone.

She wanted answers, but he wouldn't give them to her. His nerves felt overencumbered by the cocaine abuse and he couldn't take any more of the conversation. He suspected there had been all kinds of substances mixed in with Brian's so-called Colombian Pure. "I'm sorry, sis, gotta go".