Epilogue: The Future of an Enterprise

New York Talk Show, Two Weeks Later

"So, Lisa Welhaven, I can't imagine how these past days have been for you"

"They've been tough"

"But you still decided you wanted to come here and talk about it. To give a picture of what happened so to say, as you told me over the phone.":

"I wanted people to know the real story about my brother."

"Are you okay with me calling you by your surname or would you like me to call you by another name? Your mother's last name for instance?"

"That's actually one of the things I want to talk about."

...

"I don't think my brother's actions should, you know, be bad for Welhaven Incorporate or his family. My father did a lot of horrible things, but he... I'm sorry"

"Take your time, dear"

"He wasn't the greatest person, but he built a great enterprise. He revolutionized the industry. My brother had psychological issues. He needed help. That had nothing to do with Welhaven Inc. It was his personal problems"

"Well, the stocks have dropped dramatically, Lisa. It has had an impact to put it mildly. Since you defend your brother's enterprise, is it possible you'll take over? Will Lucius ever take over his father's company do you think?"

"Lucius, of course, will never have anything to do with the business of his father after what happened. That's his mother's choice. The newly appointed CEO Roland Fincher did a great job with Welhaven Inc. while Michael was away, and is still doing great despite things being bad for them now. We keep in contact. He's devastated that the man he has admired and looked up to has murdered these people"

"You're holding something back, aren't you?"

"Well, it's really... I don't know what will happen to the company. It's so unclear. I feel like the reputation is destroyed. Yes, my brother was a terrible person, but he wasn't just a monster. He had good sides too, and in Welhaven Inc. he showed his good sides. His virtues."

"I see. It would be terrible for the company to go bankrupt because of this."

"Yes... In conclusion... yes."

"What about his friend Brian Ayer's business? The stocks for it have skyrocketed since his death. Do you think that's because Ayers was a victim?"

"It's not my area to discuss."

"Back to Michael Welhaven. Not much is known about him despite his fame."

"Our father used to beat him to a pulp. His issues started there I think. We shared a bound you know. At school he would always have my back. I was almost raped one time you know. By an elderly at school. Michael interferred and got him off of me. It was..."

"That's horrible."

"Yeah... He wouldn't just be a guardian angel. He was really bright as well. He had the marketing gene from his father. Could sell ideas, just like that."

"Did he ever show violent behavior? Like you said your father did, beating him and so forth. When Michael saved you from the sexual assault for instance?"

"No, he seemed peaceful. Full of energy, always very talkative. Or... he had periods of completely isolation and silence. It was weird. You could say I knew one side of him, but not the other. He was an ambivert."

"What's that?"

"A combination of introvert and extrovert. He had a dynamic personality. I took a psychology course at a point in time. Learned some interesting stuff"

"I see"

"Brian and Michael were really good friends, so why he would kill him... is beyond me. One of the detectives, I'm not supposed to tell you his identity, told me he was probably planning to kill Jade and Lucius all along, and Brian and the girl just got in the way. The forensic team found cocaine in Michael's system"

"Is cocaine use normal in Welhaven Incorporate, Lisa?"

"God no! Not that I know of, no."

....

"I owe a lot to that detective though... and his partner that got killed trying to save Jade and Lucius. If it wasn't for them, the police wouldn't have stopped Michael in time. I'm confident about that."

"Do you think the NYPD will be more alert in the future?"

"We may have some reforms, but ulitimately in these cases, lives are dependant on the skill of the investigators. Not on ordinary police"

"The detective you're talking about is being praised now, despite the public not knowing his identity. Your brother Michael Welhaven on the other hand is being condemned. How do you feel about that?"

"What Michael was, in the very end, deserves to be despised. But I'll always have the good memories of him. I loved him you know. He used to be a good man. A great man."

....

"He really did mean.... the world to me". 

"We'll be back after a small commercial break, ladies and gentlemen. Lisa, thank you so much for joining us"