Chapter 1: Sang

Friday, December 14th

The dark scenery that passes me as I write this is lost on me. I ran. Like a coward in the night I ran. To save them, but to ultimately save myself. I knew that I wouldn't have been able to live with myself if I broke them up any further. He was right. So I did the only thing I could do. I left.

I ran back to my room after leaving the party and finished packing up my things. I dressed in a pair of sweats and was getting ready to call Dr. Roberts when Kayli walked in. She saw what I was doing and immediately understood. Saying nothing, she strode over to her closet and packed the last of her things. My eyes filled with tears as she called up Dr. Roberts and told him that we'd like to be on a team of our own.

From what I could hear, he didn't ask for any reasons. The only thing he asked was for us to think about inviting Lake to join us. She hadn't gotten close to anyone except for us during the process and he didn't want her to be alone. We agreed and he told us that he would see us off first thing in the morning. At my panicked face, Kayli insisted that we get out tonight, and with no further prodding, transportation and lodging was set up for us to go through a bit of training before we took on any missions.

When Kayli, Lake and I arrived at the designated meeting area, Dr. Roberts gave us each a journal. He said that being new to the Academy and on our own instead of being on an existing team could be rough. He advised us to keep a journal of our thoughts and feelings. Or we could do nothing and let them collect dust. The Academy, as I'm learning, is all about choice. Having the freedom to choose.

Well I chose to leave my boys to save them, but it's breaking me apart. My heart feels like it's going to burst out of my chest, and my hands are numb as I'm writing this. The further this car drives, the further away from my boys I get...no, I can't call them mine anymore. I made that choice, and now I have to live with it. I only hope that they can understand why I had to do this. I couldn't be the one to break them apart. I just couldn't.

Right now, we're driving to a safe house where we'll stay for about a week to do some intensive training. After that, missions will be given to us by our liaison, Dr. Roberts. The girls chose me to be their team lead, saying that I was the most capable. But I don't feel capable right now. I feel empty, broken...again.