23. KFC

"What are you thinking?" he asks from beside me, breaking the silence as we lay in bed naked together.

"Nothing," I answer, basking in the rays of sunlight filtering into the room from the window beside the bed.

"Nothing?" he questions incredulously.

"Yeah, nothing," I repeat.

"Hmm," he says, deep in his throat. "Seems as if I'm going to have to give you something to think about," he murmurs as he places one hand on my hip.

"No," I whisper. "I can't take anymore."

"Not even a little bit?" he asks, pouting like a little boy when I look over at him.

"No, David."

He pulls me towards him and wraps his arms around me. It feels so good, but I'm so sore. And hungry.

"I'm hungry," I mumble into his chest.

"Okay. Well, I'll cook something for you—"

"We can buy KFC," I say, not wanting him to put out unnecessary effort.

"No, no, I want to," he insists.

"I'm hungry now," I insist. "We're buying KFC."

"Okay, impatient much," he mumbles, getting out of bed to search for some clothes.

He goes to one of the drawers, his back turned to me, and I notice that there are scratch marks running down his back from last night.

Last night...

No, Leah. We are going to eat. Food.

"You coming?" he asks as he turns around, pulling a shirt over his head.

"Uh, yeah," I reply, getting up and dressing myself, all the while distracted by memories of last night.

The closest KFC is twenty minutes away, and when we get there, to our luck, the drive through only has two cars in front of us.

"Welcome to KFC, may I take your order?" I woman says through the speaker.

"Hello, can I get a five piece wing—"

"No wings, miss,"

"Um, okay, can I get a one piece, barbecue—"

"No barbecue—"

"—spicy—"

"—no spicy—"

"—original breast—"

"—no breast."

Meanwhile, asshole David is cracking up beside me.

"You should've let me cook for you."

I flip him off.

"Okay, what do you have?"

"Zinger, famous bowl, fries, leg and thigh."

"Okay can I get a zinger?"

"Oh sorry, di last one jus' sell."