Chapter 12: Tonks Surprise

Tonks went back to Headquarters smiling; she wanted to see Remus before he locked himself in the basement. Snape had come over last night and was teaching Ginny how to brew the Wolfsbane potion, so at least he wouldn't be dangerous. He still locked himself away just in case; his worst fear was biting someone he loved.

"How are you feeling?" She asked as she saw him looking like a ghost. She hated that he had to go through this pain every month. "Did you get the basement remodeled to your liking?" Remus nodded, he had had a few mattresses placed on the floor for him to curl up on as well as backup protection installed. There was now a large cage that locked once he was inside of it. That way if the worst should happen, even if someone was to open the door to the basement, they would still be safe from him.

"Come on, let's get you down there before you pass out and I have to carry you," Tonks told him, pulling him from his chair.

She helped him into the caged room and sat him on one of the mattresses. It really was rather cozy she guessed for a wolf. He even had a light switch so he could turn the lights on and off with his snout. She was just about to kiss him when she heard footsteps on the stairs. Harry and Ginny were coming down. Ginny had his wolfsbane potion with her. "Thanks Ginny." Remus croaked out downing the disgusting tasting potion.

"It's a good thing Gin is so good at potions, that is a very complicated thing to brew. I've never even heard of half the ingredients, Mr. Weasley said he had to go to three different stores to find them all. We should have enough for a few years now though, just in case." Harry said trying to make conversation. He hated to see Remus looking so frail, now he understood why his Dad and Sirius had wanted to become animagi to keep him company.

"You better go upstairs now; it's getting close to sunset." Remus told them. Harry winked at him as he pulled Ginny up the stairs so Tonks and he could have a private moment.

"Let me stay with you tonight." Tonks asked pulling him into a hug. "I know you think it's dangerous, but I'll be outside the cage. I just don't want you to have to go through this alone anymore."

"I couldn't live with myself if something were to happen to you." Remus told her as she kissed him and locked him into the cage. The sun was almost set. "Please, if I bit you I would die inside."

"Good night love," She said touching his hand through the cage before going upstairs. She was going to stay with him whether he wanted it or not.

"Harry," Tonks said, "Tell everyone that I've gone back to the inn for the night."

Harry smiled at her; he could tell she had no intention of going back to the hotel. He had been reading a book he had found about Aurors (from a dark wizard perspective but still interesting) and it said that most of them were animagi. The ministry did not register them so they could spy on dark wizards easier. "So what animal do you turn into?" He asked her quietly so no one could overhear.

Tonks smiled, she knew Harry was perceptive, but she didn't think her plan was that obvious. "That's something you don't need to know yet Harry, I'll save it for when you're an Auror too." She smiled, kissed him on the cheek and went back down into the basement. Harry locked the door behind her.

She could hear Remus transforming, he was crying out in pain. She hurried down the stairs and transformed into her animagus form. She was a chameleon; she thought it was fitting for a metamorphmagi. It seemed she could never keep one appearance. She slipped in between the fencing and the door to the cage Remus was in. She could tell he recognized her scent, even though she was a lizard, she still smelled like herself.

She walked over to the bed he was lying on. He pulled her close using one of his paws. He was surprisingly gentle considering he was in wolf form. They couldn't communicate with each other but he was comforted by her presence nonetheless. If he still had any doubts about their relationship, they were gone now. Not only was she not scared of him, she was lying next to him while he was transformed. He never thought anyone else would care about him enough to do that, he knew wherever James and Sirius were they were happy that he had finally found someone to love and who loved him.