The Time Machine

Monday April 12, 1965

After another boring day at school, I went off to find that Time Machine. Everything has been happening to fast, I haven't had a chance to go out and get it. I thought it was about time to come back home. Or at least try to figure it out. I was starting to feel homesick and I hated keeping secrets and lying to people who were beginning to care about me. I didn't want to say "goodbye" to them right away, just in case something doesn't work out. Like, if I can't find it right away or something. I'll be sure to say "goodbye" eventually, I don't want to be rude and have them wonder what happened to me.

I've talked to Darry a couple times about staying at his house. After spending some time with him, he grew to care for me. I was allowed to stay the rest of the week, and that turned to the rest of the month. I talked to him over the weekend and told him that I can leave whenever he wants me to. He said I can stay as long as I want, as long as I help out with chores and dealt with dinners from time to time. That was an even compromise, especially since he was giving me my own room and I don't even have to pay rent.

I was humbly and officially given Soda's room to live in, which I was very grateful for. Soda usually stays with Pony in Pony's room anyways, or sometimes I think Soda crashes in their parents room if Pony is already asleep or is busy doing homework. Last resort, he sleeps on the couch.

It hasn't been too long, but I have really been trying to blend into this decade. I honestly expected more Beatlemania and Austin Powers, but I felt like I was trapped in the 50s rather than the 60s. I've found teasing the crown of my hair into a small bouffant and tying some of my hair back with a dark ribbon or using a black headband, keeping the rest of my hair curled loosely were the easiest hairstyles I quickly mastered. I replicated it for school, and I didn't get any negative comments about my hair again.

I drove off to a recognizable dirt road. I eventually found my shoe prints from a week before, and I followed the trail into the grass patch where I found the large rock that I hid the Machine behind. I jumped out of my car while it was still running and approached the big rock. The Time Machine wasn't behind the rock. My heart stopped. My eyes followed a trace in the dirt that looked like something with claws pulled it away the rock. I found the Time Machine, it was dragged further into the grass. When I got to it, it was covered in obvious scratch and bite marks. Bits and pieces of the switches and gears were missing.

Shit.

It looked like an animal got to it.

"No, no, no, no!" I quickly and hopelessly put the metal headband on and I sat down in the dirt and placed the T bar between my legs. I didn't know how to work it, but I did my best to remember what Lillian did. I frantically flipped some of the switches that were still there, spun some gears, and set the date to the day after I left. I knew that if you go to a time you existed, you could potentially meet yourself. Something bad could happen and I don't want to know what it is. Better to be safe than sorry.

I flipped the start lever and absolutely nothing happened. I flipped it again, still nothing.

"No, no, no!" I screamed every time it didn't work. I ripped the headband off my head and threw the entire Machine away from me. Causing it to break apart more.

Not my intention.

I buried my face into my knees and cried out in frustration. The Time Machine was broken, so I had no possible way to get back home now. When I composed myself, I calmly gathered every bit of the Time Machine I could get my hands on and threw it in the trunk of my car. My palms were wet from wiping my frustrated tears away. I couldn't look like I was crying, or I would never hear the end of it.

To stay optimistic, I was telling myself that it wasn't totally broken. If Lillian was here, she could fix it. I just have to think like Lillian. Except, I don't typically tinker with stuff like she does. I knew that I needed to remain optimistic and have hope. I'll figure it out eventually.