2

1973,

Life at the mansion wasn't what Jasmine had anticipated. It was depressing. Nothing was going on; it was always quiet. Sure, some peace and quiet was nice every once in a while, but this was just too much. Life hadn't always been like this, though. Before the war in Vietnam, Charles, Jasmine and Hank had opened up the school. Mutant children had enrolled and were very happy. But when the war worsened, students were being drafted by the army. Gradually, all of the students had packed up their stuff and left the school. It was no longer a school anymore.

The emptiness took its toll on everyone. Hank shut himself in his lab, doing God knows what, and occasionally helping out with the care of the house. Charles had become an alcoholic and shut himself in his room. This left Jasmine all alone in the huge mansion, with nothing to do. She would often spend her days cleaning and gardening. Sometimes, she would read or draw. But, it wasn't the same as before. She became very lonely. Jasmine became the carer of the house. She took care of it and cooked the meals. It was becoming very boring, like a recurring dream she was trapped in. It was the same, everyday.

Using his spare time, Hank created a serum to control his mutation, making him 'normal' again. He discovered that it would work for all mutations and so he gave it to Charles. The serum gave Charles the ability to walk in exchange for his telepathy. Even though he was only meant to take a specific amount, he overdosed on it. This destroyed him. It made him different. He was far from the man Jasmine had fallen in love with years ago.