Chapter Thirty-Six: Fay

I watched as Keary stormed out of the cave. I sighed and walked to the other side of the cave and sat down. I fetched a whetstone out of my pouch, pulled out my knives, and began to sharpen them.

I kind of felt bad for the two prisoners. I mean, the princess looked a little older than a teenager, and the soldier looked my age. However, I quickly realized where my thoughts were going, and I shoved them out of my head, and focused on sharpening my knives.

"What is so important about this ring?" Adira demanded. Yah, right. She acts like she was in charge of this situation.

"Why do you need to know?" I countered, avoiding the question. Truth was, I was only in this for the money that Keary had promised me. Okay, well it was the only reason I had joined Keary, but now I really wanted to see and use this ring myself.

"Because obviously this has something to do with my father, and therefore I have a right to know," the girl replied.

"Fine." I kept sharpening my knives as I talked, "I'm not actually in this for the ring, even though it would be very useful if I got my hands on it. Keary promised me a lot of money to help him get it. This ring is more powerful than you could imagine. It has the power to freeze people," I stopped sharpening my knives and replaced them in their sheathes. "I don't really know whether it actually kills the person right away, or if it is just like you got trapped in a freezer and can't escape so you'll freeze to death over time."

Why am I telling her these things?

"And you think my father has this ring?" the princess asked almost as if it was a statement.

I rolled my eyes. "Oh, I know he has it. Keary has someone in the palace who saw the king with it. He doesn't know where the king keeps it, but we are pretty sure we know where it is."

"Where is it?" the girl questioned.

"I've probably said more than I should, but your father probably won't ever use it." Doubt crept across my face. What if he does decide to use it when he finds us? I corrected myself. If he can find us.

The girl didn't say anything, but I could see that she was thinking about something, though I couldn't quite decide what it was.

Well, things are pretty stable right now. For now. *evil snickering* Jk lol, I've actually forgotten what happens next in the story, but it's gotta be good. Right? Right. ;) :)

Fay - Aris