Chapter 17 - I Gambled With An Edible Dice

Chapter 17 – I Gambled With An Edible Dice

“Go on,” Nathan said with a smirk. “We’ll watch the house while you montage with Nerdy.”

I threw him a scowl. “Just don’t break anything,” I muttered, shaking my head, heading for the door.

When I reached the porch, Sarah wasn’t there. Didn’t I tell her to wait for me? Running away from me again, huh? We’d see who’d win this. I jogged over to Sarah’s house and knocked. After half a minute, Emma opened the door.

“Hi, Emma,” I greeted before she could say anything. “Is Sarah home?”

She creased her forehead. “I thought she went over to your house to ask you to go with her to the supermarket?” Sarah’s mom looked worried. “Oh, why does she have to be so stubborn? I told her she can’t go without you.”

“Uhm, I forgot. She told me to meet her at the bus stop,” I replied backing away. “Don’t worry.”

Emma started to say something to me but I didn’t get any of it. Finding Sarah was the only thing that mattered. If something bad happened to her because of me again…

When I got to the sidewalk, I looked left and right. Like a nervous little kid crossing the street.

Where are you, Sarah?

I sprinted to the bus stop. Sarah would probably go there and she couldn’t be too far. I forced my legs to run faster. The heat was making me dizzy. Ugh, bummer. I should work out more. Finally, I reached the last block. From where I stood to catch my breath, I squinted to see Sarah sitting on the bench beside the bus stop sign. Breathing a sigh of relief, I started to her.

I sneaked behind Sarah and tapped her on the back, making her jump a bit. When she looked over her shoulder I, poked her cheek with my index finger. That seemed to annoy and startle her at the same time.

“You’re in so much trouble, Sarah Byrnes.” I vaulted over the bench and sat beside her.

She cringed and inched to the edge of the seat like she was scared I might bite. “How did you find me?” she demanded.

I sported a big smile and shrugged. “Oh, is this what I get after covering up for you? Or maybe I should tell Emma that you went on your own,” I said giving her a meaningful look. “But because we are best friends, I won’t do that. Since it’s what best friends do. They don’t ditch each other.”

Her cheeks suddenly turned red, eyes into slits as she turned to me. For a second, I thought she’d go ballistic and hit me with the bus stop sign. But she froze and finally mumbled something like, “I-is it… possible to have déjà vu and amnesia at the same time?”

Okay. I wanted to say I wasn’t in the mood for a pop quiz but thought better of it. She looked serious. “I’m… not sure.”

She shook her head, looking dazed, blinking at me. “F-forget it.”

“Why? Anything coming back to you yet?” I asked. When she looked down and ignored me, I said, “Because this definitely happened before.”

That seemed to draw her attention. “Really?” She sounded sceptical.

“I swear. Two years ago. I ran after you and luckily, you’re not much of a runner,” I smirked, remembering how she cried like a baby when I told her I liked her.

Well, I didn’t exactly tell her I like you or something like that. It was implied. I didn’t like girls who cried a lot but for her it was different. It felt like I wanted to hold her and make her smile, no matter what it’d take.