Chapter 40 - How to Know When to REALLY Quit

I will write you this song

And take back what's ours

Would that be enough?                                                            --A Rocket to the Moon

“Not now, guys. Please? Just, not now.”

Chuck was about to open his mouth and shoot out another annoying question when Reed gave him a whack on the head.

“You heard him,” Reed said, turning to me. “You okay?”

“Yeah.” I smiled.

Ricky, Reed and Chuck looked at each other. They weren’t convinced.

“I’m okay. Okay?” I jumped into my bed and buried myself under the sheets. “I’m just… tired.”

I couldn’t breathe. And it had nothing to do with the fact that I was smothering myself with a pillow. Three years of waiting just to be dumped all over again. I couldn’t see the point why I still tried. Or why I’d been so stupid.

“Come on, Leon.” It was Ricky.

I felt the corner of my bed shift. I threw the pillow and the sheets away as I scooted up. “I’m done! Don’t you get it? I’m done with it!”

Ricky got to his feet. “What? You’ll give up just like that?”

I took in a long, deep breath before I could speak. “It’s… what she wants.”

“That sucks,” Chuck commented.

“Big time,” I answered, staring blankly at my lap. “But the world’s not gonna stop just because I got dumped.”

“Yeah.” Chuck nodded. “The world is still gonna rock because we’re still here to rock it!”

We all shut him up with sharp stares.

“Completely inappropriate,” Ricky said to Chuck. “What do we do now, Leon?”

I shrugged. “After the launch, we go and forget this all ever happened.”

Once again, I packed my bags which I’d never really unpacked for the last three years. I watched them being wheeled out of my room. And I wondered if I’d ever set foot near Boston ever again.

I hoped I won’t see Sarah. Still, half of me wanted to hop in a car and drive to Hopkinton. Maybe stalk around her house. See if she was there. And face her for the last time.

“Leon?” It was Moira. “We’re ready when you are.”

I gave her a nod and pushed myself off of the bed.

Moira’s stiletto’s clacked against the thinly carpeted floor as we went.

“Chuck and Reed are saying goodbye to their family members,” she said, looking at me from the corner of her eye. “All nine of them.”

“Hmm… Trouble.” I walked ahead. “Must’ve turned the lobby upside-down.”

“And backwards,” she nodded, chuckling awkwardly. “But they make the blonds happy. What can a manager do?”

I didn’t answer.

“People we care for… they’re not always perfect, you see?” Moira stopped. “They can make you go mental and cause you hurt of all sorts. But you still love them all the same.”

I tilted my head back and breathed out. “You’re not going to change my mind, you know.”

She smiled at me.