Chapter 18 - How to Be a Nerd

Cause I got some intuition, or maybe Im superstitious
But I think you're a pretty sweet pill that Im swallowing down
To counter this addiction, you've got me on a mission
Tell me darling, can I get a break somehow? Could I say no?

Chapter 18 – How to Be a Nerd

“Think about it,” Ricky said before leaving with the guys.

My studio was miraculously left in one piece. Although some of the instruments were placed the wrong way. Like my guitars. The drumstick on the floor. The open piano keyboard cover.

Sighing, I started aligning the guitars on the stands, thinking about what Ricky suggested just a while ago.

“Matt’s been inviting everyone who’s anyone to his party next week,” he said right after Chuck and Reed wrestled each other out the studio. “Sarah included. He’s making the moves and if you really want Sarah back, you have to make your move now.”

I sunk on the seat in front of the piano. On their own, my hands started to play the song I composed for Sarah two years ago. I never finished it. Took it for granted, I guess. Been too relaxed, thinking there’d be no way Sarah and I would break up ever again. Who was I kidding?

Sarah… can you just smile for me?

Forever, would you belong to me?

Even though you are hurting you’d smile like it’s nothing

What should I do?

If I keep you forever, would you cry on my shoulder?

I’ll be your knight, though not in shining armor

‘Cause I can’t get enough of you…

The words played in my head. My fingers flew mechanically and I just stared at them blankly. I felt empty. The words seemed meaningless now. Angrily, I slammed my hands on the keys. Everything felt hopeless. Out of control. Maybe it was time to move on. No. I couldn’t live with that.

What now, Leon? I asked myself.

“Make a last stand,” I muttered in reply. “If it doesn’t work, then it’s time to give up.”

Ricky’s offer resurfaced in my head.

Nerds of the same feather flock together,” he said grinning. I remembered Sarah saying that a few times before. “Let’s approach this logically. Remember, Sarah’s a nerd right before you met her. You might have changed her on the outside but her brain probably has a Nerd OS. You can’t change that. If you want Sarah to warm up to you, you have to act like nerd, talk like a nerd, think like a nerd. In short you have to be a nerd. And I’m the man to help you.

My mind was all messed-up. I didn’t change Sarah. Or did I? Never had I asked her to change anything for me. She’d always been everything I wanted and more. Maybe I was too blind to see her efforts to blend into my world. Leon Walden’s world. And now, I should do my fair share of  work.

Without thinking twice, I pulled my cell phone from my pocket and dialled.

“Ricky,” I started. “You’re right. I need your help.”

Clearing his throat, Ricky answered, “Good. Tomorrow then.”

“Wake up, nerd-in-training,” Nathan scoffed, pulling the covers off of me.