4: Problems Solved?

"Are you really gonna keep acting like you don't care? You know we're alone, you can be real with me now." Mitch said staring at Scott, who was leaning against the door frame of the living room.

      Mitch was trying to talk about there existing problem but Scott kept shrugging him off and dismissing him. "I'm not acting. I think we both know how much of a terrible actor I am. And I'm real with you always, even if there are others around."

      Mitch frowned, "fine. You don't wanna talk about it? I guess we won't solve anything then." Mitch huffed and stood up.

       "Look Mitch," Scott started and Mitch stopped in his tracks to give Scott attention. "Yes I was upset that you were blowing me off but that's because I didn't know why. You didn't tell me that you were just seeing Austin. I just thought I did something to make you annoyed with my presence all of the sudden because that's how you acted when we did spend any time together." Yeah that sounds believable. He explained and Mitch frowned.

        "I'm sorry I made you feel that way. That was not my intention at all. To be honest I didn't think I was treating you any different. I'll be more wary of that." He said and Scott shrugged again.

        "It's fine." He said before gulping, "why," he cleared his throat, "Why didn't you tell me about Austin? I just... if we're such close best friends, why didn't you say anything about it?" He asked trying to be less awkward.

       Mitch bit his lip shaking his head, "I don't know... I just I think I needed a break from everyone I spent tour with so I distanced myself I guess? So I hung out with Austin and told Justin all about it instead of-"

         Scott looked down, "me." He finished for him and but the inside of his cheek. "Instead of coming to me, you went to Justin. Okay." Scott said nodded trying not to let himself cry. Not yet.

        "Scott, I'm sorry. I just needed a break from-"

        "Me." Scott finished for him again, "you needed a break from me." Scott chuckled bitterly shaking his head, hoping that the tears wouldn't fall and that they would stay in place. "Okay. I'll be out of your hair then." He said before pushing off the wall and turning around.

         "Wait Scott. You're upset." Mitch said pulling him back by his wrist.

         "Wow good observation, Mitch." Scott said tears finally welling up in his eyes. "Yeah I'm upset."

         "Why?" Mitch shook his head, "that was a stupid question just... please just talk to me. We always talk through things. That's how we've stayed together for so long." He said and Scott shook his head.

           "Yeah we talk through things and we never get sick of each other. In six years we have never needed a 'break' from each other. So yeah I'm fucking upset that you felt you needed a break from me and I'm fucking upset that you went to Justin to gush about a boy instead of your best friend! Yes I'm upset but..." Scott took a deep breath and wiped his eyes.

        "I just... I'm not mad at you. I'm just sad that our friendship is slowly deteriorating and I can't do anything about it because no matter how much I put into it you need to as well. And you... just don't want to anymore. And that's okay I'm just going to deal with it." He said his voice getting quieter as he spoke.

          "It's not deteriorating Scott. Just because I needed a break from the people I spent every second of everyday for months on tour with doesn't mean that I love you all any less." Mitch tried to assure him but Scott shook his head looking up at the ceiling.

         "We've never needed that Mitch." He whispered and Mitch's heart broke. He walked up to him and wrapped his arms around his neck, pressing his face in Scott's chest. Scott hesitantly wrapped his arms around him feeling more tears accumulating.

        "I know baby." He said his voice muffled in Scott's chest. He pulled back and held Scott's face in his hands. "I'm sorry for pulling away so much. It had nothing to do with you love, please know that. I just needed a little break from everyone but I'm back and I don't need anymore breaks." He tried to reassure him but Scott wasn't assured at all.

         He always had at lease some hope that Mitch had the same feelings but reality was setting in. Mitch did not feel the same way and he barely felt enough to be best friends with him, at least that's how Scott saw it. He saw this as the first sign of their friendship ending.

          Scott pulled away and nodded before retreating to his room. He bit his lip as he slid down to the floor, his back pressed against his bedroom door.

         "Scott?" He heard in the hallway followed by a small knock on the door.

         "I'm fine Mitch. I just... need a break." Scott chucked as he whispered that last part, tears falling down his cheeks freely now in the safety of his room.

         "I don't want it to end that way. I want it to end with us watching Spongebob on the couch together." Mitch said as he sat down on the other side of Scott's door.

       Scott chuckled bitterly, "we're fine Mitch. Go hang out with Austin. I know you didn't see him last night, he probably misses you." Mitch frowned on the other side of the door.

         "Scott..." Mitch said weakly, "please I don't want to fight anymore."

           "We're not fighting." Scott said bluntly before putting his face in his hands, "will you... Can you please let me be alone for a bit?"

         "O-okay. I'll be at Austin's. If you need me." Scott heard his footsteps down the hallway and the door opening and closing. Scott finally let out the sob he was holding in and he clutched onto his knees as his body shook.

          I'm loosing him both ways.