23: Panicking

Mitch came back into the living room to see the Kirstie had fallen asleep, her head in Scott's lap. Scott was silently petting her hair as her breathing was finally back to normal.

       "She finally went down." Mitch said quietly and Scott looked up at him slightly startled that he had returned.

        He nodded solemnly and Mitch sat on the other couch closest to him. "I can't believe Jeremy would..." his sentence faded out and Scott bit his lip.

       "We did." He whispered looking up, "we did this to two people. We caused this much pain because we were 'too scared' to admit our feelings." Mitch bit his lip nodding.

       "At least Shawn and Austin weren't in love with us. It could have been way worse." He said trying to make Scott feel a little better but Scott shook his head.

        "Maybe Austin wasn't in love with you but Shawn was with me. He told me."  Scott whispered and continued to look down at Kirstie instead of Mitch.

        "You were only dating for a couple of months though." Mitch pointed out and Scott nodded shrugging.

        "We've never dated but I've been in love with you for years." He said and Mitch furrowed his eyebrows.

        "Yeah but we've been best friends for years so we've had time to fall in love with each other." He said and Scott nodded.

        "Exactly, Shawn and I've been friends for a couple years a lot closer this past year. And I knew he had feelings for me and I took advantage of that to get over you." He spoke quietly shaking his head. "It hurts me so much to think that I caused him even a fraction of this pain."

        "Did he know?" Mitch asked quietly, "that you were in love with me?"

        Scott looked up this time but only briefly, "Yeah I told him before we even started dating." He said and Mitch nodded.

       "Then he should've known to an extent. He should've known that-" Scott snapped his head up.

        "Known that I would've cheated on him first chance I got? No, he trusted me because I'm not an asshole. He knows I don't just sleep around and if I were to I would have broken up with him because he believed that I wasn't a shitty person." He snapped before sighing and making sure that Kirstie didn't wake up at his outburst.

         "I'm sorry." Mitch whispered and Scott looked up concerned.

        "What for?" He asked and Mitch sighed.

        "Everything that has happened to you it's all been because of me." He whispered and Scott shook his head frowning and looking back down.

       He carefully lifted Kirstie off of his lap and placed her head on a pillow. He was relieved to see that she was still sound asleep. He turned over to Mitch who was looking down and grabbed his hand. Mitch looked up at him confused and Scott just lifted him up and led them up the stairs up to his room.

       He shut the door behind them and than stood in front of him, "Okay will you stop it with that?" Mitch looked at him confused.

       "Stop what?" He asked and Scott sighed looking at him sadly.

       "Stop blaming yourself for everything. Yes you've fucked up a few times but not all the blame has to fall on you all the time. It wasn't your fault that I cheated on him it was my own, it wasn't your fault that I got stabbed in the club, for God's sake I chose to do that. Me! I get it, I can't control what you feel guilty for but please get it in your head that I don't blame you for anything." He said and Mitch  shook his head.