The Mute Mistress: Chapter 10

Chapter 10

The town car pulled to a stop when Mary and Nathan looked up from their phones. They made it to the jewelry storefront. Mary returned a timid smile and walked through the entrance Nathan held for her. Passing through, she gawked in awe, feeling around the glamorous lounge space.

"Mr. Vanderbilt, welcome back!" A man with a peppered beard appeared from a back room donning a fitted suit vest and pants with arms stretched wide. "Nico is currently out of town, but my name is Jacob."

"Good morning, Jacob. I trust anyone Nico puts in charge." Nathan shook his hand firmly. "Before we see anything, can we please get the lady a drink?"

Mary's face revealed her shock, but Nathan rested his hand in the middle of her back and got no resistance, guiding her to a luxurious lounge chair. Mary scratched her thumbnail, watching Jacob wave his finger to another young man who made a round into the back. She swallowed a lump in her throat, hearing Nathan request for a drink. Things were going so well, but anxiety ruined Mary's focus. Gentle music played from overhead speakers. She tuned into the sounds to ground herself.

But Nathan rested his hand on her shoulder. Mary's muscles stiffened. Was it possible for him to be vigilant about her discomfort? Giving it more thought, how hard was it for anyone to sense her uneasiness? Mary felt torn. The butterflies fluttered wildly inside her. She didn't invite confusion, but she didn't remove herself from his hold like she would anyone else she didn't know.

With a squinted smile, the young man approached with a small laminated menu. Gently, she took the options and Nathan leaned in closer, pointing at the seasonal option. Mary grinned and threw him a look after reading blueberry lemonade. Feeling a little loosened up, she scanned the remaining options. Relieved reading non-alcoholic options, she pointed to the sparkling mineral water.

Nathan questioned the status of a custom item while Jacob reached into a casing behind him. Jacob reassured him of his other order while securing a large silver watch on Nathan's wrist. Assessing the piece carefully, Nathan rotated his wrist and evaluated the accessory.

Naturally, he gravitated towards Mary. "What do you think?"

Nathan watched her curiosity transform into a frowning survey of the watch.

"She doesn't like it," Nathan announced, examining his wrist again.

"Similar tastes, I see," Jacob remarked with an amused brow.

"I think we're looking for something with less flash," Nathan remarked.

Nathan returned to the glass counter when Jacob asked, "Would the young lady care to look at any of the jewelry?"

Mary waved her hands no, but Jacob raised his brows at Nathan. He held contemplation on his face, but Mary sucked air between her teeth and jumped from her seat. She waved in his face to get his attention. When she tapped on his shoulder, he narrowed his eyes and curled his mouth. When she shook his arm, he laughed.

With a red face, she gestured. "Don't."

Jacob laughed, "Which event are you two attending?"

"The gala," Nathan answered, removing his watch.

She did a double-take. The man nodded and remarked about the glamour, turning away to return the watch.

He leaned into her ear. "Just roll with it. C'mon, it'll be fun."

Mary signaled he follow her elsewhere from the counter. She typed fiercely and revealed her concern. Karina is your girlfriend.

He sighed. "I don't want you to do anything you don't want to."