3| Excuse You?

CHAPTER 3| Excuse You?

"Nice place you got here." Matthew tells me while sitting on the couch observing what's around him.

"Thanks" I sit beside him. "Wait, you didnt tell my grandma that I was in the hospital, did you?"

He shakes his head slowly. "No. I didn't know if you would have wanted me to or not."

I let out a sigh of relief. "I just don't want her to worry about me."

"Where's your mom? Does she take care of your grandma?"

"No" I shake my head and say in distaste. "My mom is somewhere in New York with her boyfriend."

"What about your dad?"

"I haven't seen him in three years. My mom told me he left to be with someone else and that he didn't love me as his daughter." I frown, "now I don't know where he's at."

"I'm sorry" Matthew says quietly.

"You know, I barley know you but I'm starting to like you" I say with all honesty.

"Like me how?" He asks.

"I dont know" I look away from his blue eyes. "Like a friend or something?"

"Oh" he looks away with some kind of frown shown on his face. I furrow my eyebrows in confusion. "What's wrong?"

He shrugs. "You just seem a lot different than any other girl I've met. And I love that."

I nod slowly, "oh uh thanks?"

"Can I ask you for a favor?" Matthew asks with all seriousness. He goes on after I nod. "Tomorrow I have to go to this dinner with my parents and their friends at some restaurant and I need a date."

"You want me to be your date?"

He nods. "Just for the dinner."

"Sure, why not" I shrug my shoulders. "I don't think I have things to do tomorrow. I'll just have to check up on my Gram's before going."

"Great" he smiles.

"Wait" I squint my eyes. "You're single?"

"Yeah."

Right as I was going to ask something else, there is a knock on my apartment door. Matthew gets up before I do. "I hope it isn't that Luke guy" he says. Matthew opens the door and the person on the other side is silent for a moment.

"Oh. I... I'm sorry we probably have the wrong apartment numbe-"

"You don't" I jump up when I recognize who the voice belongs to. I stand beside Matthew before embracing both my friends.

"Who are they?" Matthew asks me.

I step back from my friends and motion them inside. "Matthew, these are my friends, Taylor Sterling and Alejandro Cruz. You guys this is Matthew Harris."

Taylor and Alejandro share a look before staring at me with questioning eyes. In return I smile. "Why is he in your apartment? You never told us you had a boyfr-"

"Matthew is not my boyfriend." I stop Taylor at that with my face burning red.

"I actually hit her with my motorcycle and stayed with her while she was in the hospital." Matthew explains rather bluntly.

Alejandro's eyes widen bigger than normal. He looks back and forth between Matthew and I with a shocked expression. "You what?"

"It isn't as bad as it sounds." I tell them while closing my apartment door.