New Beginnings

"Oswald...."
Oswald almost jumped at the sound of that voice. Ed.
He turned slowly towards it, his injured leg making scuffling sounds against the damp floor of the cell.
Ed's laboured breathing was the only other sound in the room. Oswald's eyes travelled up his legs, his chest, his neck, past his lips... and then looked into his eyes. The space between them tingled.
"You're alive..?", Ed said, almost whispering.
Oz shuffled closer towards him, until his face was pressing against the metal bars that were separating them. Ed was in shock, and was standing just a little too close. Oswald's anger took hold and he lunged out between the bars, his fingers narrowly missing Ed's Court issued jumpsuit. He smiled a little and let his arm fall, content with the discomfort on Ed's face.
It was always more fun when things got personal.

Ed broke the silence first, his natural curiosity overwhelming him.
"How are you still alive?", he demanded.
"It may have escaped your notice, but I am very difficult to kill.", Oswald replied.
Ed sighed and rolled his eyes a little at the reply. Typical Oz. Stubborn to a fault.
"I guess you're more cockroach than Penguin.", he mused, taking joy in the offended expression that flashed on Oswald's face.
The smaller man stared at him in mute fury, trying to think of a comeback. He had none.
"Well, sorry that I'm not lying at the bottom of the sea right now Edward, what an inconvenience for you..."
Ed's face darkened and he stepped closer to the bars separating their cells.
"I told you not to call me that..."
Oswald turned towards him, feigning ignorance, and said,
"What, Edward? Edward, Edward, Edward, Edward, Edward, Ed-"
"ENOUGH!", Ed shouted, trying to sound threatening.
Oswald giggled.

The next morning, they got coffee and news papers. They both tried to get information from the guards but they were stoic. The pair sighed in unison and shook their heads. Disloyalty apparently meant nothing around here.
Ed flicked open the newspaper and his eyes skimmed through the crossword section, wishing he had a pencil. He glanced over at Oswald, who was taking a sip of his coffee, and an idea came to him. He waited until Oswald swallowed, and then folded his newspaper and went to stand beside the bars, whistling nonchalantly. He was rocking back and forth on his feet, and looking at anything but Oswald, which was precisely what caught the other man's attention.
Oz stepped closer to the bars, sighed and said,
"Ed, what did you do now?"
Ed smiled and said,
"Nothing..."
Oz groaned and took another sip of his coffee.
"...Except bribe the guards to poison your coffee."
Oswald spat out the coffee immediately and dropped the cup on the ground, spilling its contents across the dark cell floor.
"YOU'RE LYING!", he screamed, marching over to Ed.
Ed allowed himself a small smirk and went back to reading his newspaper. It was good to have him back.

It wasn't until 3 days had passed that the pair grew bored of teasing one another. They did enjoy talking, and although Ed would never admit it, he had missed Oswald... but they needed to get out of here. They were just finalising the details of a truce and were about to shake hands, when three figures in cloaks and owl masks came through the door. The pair dropped each other's hands immediately and went to stare at the newcomers. They stepped inbetween the cages and one by one removed the owl masks and lowered their hoods. On the right was someone they didn't recognise, an attendant perhaps. In the middle was Kathryn, with a knowing smile resting on her face. The third person did not remove their disguise and instead stood there, not moving a muscle, as if waiting for instructions.

Kathryn stepped forward and nodded at Ed and Oswald in turn, the smile on her face unmoving.
"Gentlemen, how are you? I assume that the food and entertainment are up to standard?"
Oswald and Ed shared a look.
Kathryn kept smiling.
"What about the, ah... company?"
They refused to look at each other this time and simply stared at Kathryn as if she was out of her mind. Her smile didn't falter.
"Oh yes, I forgot.. you two are in the middle of a lover's quarrel at the moment, aren't you..? All because of some girl, isn't it?"
Ed's hands suddenly gripped the bars and he stared at Kathryn as if he would take pleasure in her death. Oswald knew that look too well.
"She was not just some girl. Don't you dare call her that..."
Kathryn appeared unalarmed by Ed's forcefulness and her smile began to trouble Oswald. Something was going on here...
Kathryn walked closer to Ed's cage and spoke. "Oh I don't think she'll mind, dear.... Do you mind Isabella?"
She turned towards the final member of the trio as she pulled down her hood and took off her mask. Her smile mirrored Kathryn's. She dropped the owl mask to the floor and winked at Oswald, letting out a giggle when his mouth dropped open in shock. It was Isabella.