Truth Be Told

"Ed, do you know my middle name?"
Ed stared up at him, confused, and then the slow smile reappeared on his face.
"Yep. I asked you once but you wouldn't tell me. Said it was embarrassing. So of course I, I went and found out. It's Chesterfield. Pretty name for a... a pretty boy."
Oswald's mouth fell open and Ivy giggled. So this was what Ed truly thought of him. He fought back a grin. He could get used to it. But there was a time and a place for compliments, and this wasn't it. The perfume had a time limit. He couldn't miss this unique opportunity to interrogate Ed, and there were so many things he needed to know.
"So, uhh, Ed... Do you remember when you tried to kill me?"
The smile slide right off of Ed's face and he looked up at Oswald sadly.
"Yes. Yes I do."
Oswald stared at him with bated breath, but Ed said nothing more. Ivy sighed and explained,
"You have to be very specific Ozzie. Ask him what exactly happened when he shot you, and what he felt afterwards."
Oswald nodded and turned back to Ed.
"Tell me what happened Ed. Tell me what you did, and how it made you feel after."
Edward stared up at him, the pain clear to see on his face.
"I-I took you to the docks," he stammered.
"You begged me not to kill you, but I didn't listen. I-I was so selfish and cruel. You told me you loved me and I... I just shot you! I shot you... I was crying, afterwards, but no one could tell. They all thought it was the rain on my glasses. Barbara had a toast to your... your death. I toasted your death, Oswald. And I laughed. But inside, I... I felt so empty. So empty. Like I would never care about anyone again. You were the only one who understood me. You were the only one that truly cared, and I just..."
Oswald struggled to keep himself from pulling Ed into a hug. He just sounded so broken. He took a few deep breaths and continued questioning him, trying to remain calm.
"What about the pills Ed? Tell me about the pills you started taking."
Ed shook his head slightly, but opened his mouth to speak anyway.
"I... I was so alone. I needed someone to... I needed you, Oswald. I've always needed you... I started taking the pills as a substitute for alcohol at first, just to drown away my pain. But then, after a few days, you started to appear. You were always dripping wet, covered in seaweed and saltwater. You knew everything that I was too scared to admit to myself. You came with me everywhere, telling me the truths I wouldn't listen to. I finally snapped one day when you... when..."
Oswald leaned forward in his chair.
"Go on," he said, curious.
"You sang. You appeared in a tuxedo, and you had stage lights and you were singing. The song was very... well... It was called Wake Up Alone, I think. I got frustrated at how you made me feel, and I shouted at you to stop. I admitted that killing you killed a part of me. But I insisted that I would be born anew. I couldn't be, though. I was lying to myself again, Oswald. I needed you."
Oswald was now speechless and his face was as red as Ivy's hair. Ivy herself, on the other hand, was utterly fascinated by Ed's story and said,
"Go on, go on!! Tell us more."
Ed gave her a confused look.
"That... that's it. I eventually felt like I was ok on my own, and I dumped the pills in the sea, where I thought his body was. Oswald appeared again, and I said.. I said that I missed him. I told him the truth, of how I cared about him, and how our friendship meant something to me. And then I said goodbye."
Oswald was tearing up. Ed had cared. He had missed him and he had cared about him. But did he still? Did he still care? Oswald dried his eyes quickly and swallowed his fear. This was the big question.
"Ed?", Oswald whispered. Ed turned to him and stared deep into his eyes. Oswald took a few deep breaths and laid a hand on his knee, making him smile softly.
"What is it Oswald?"
"Do you... do you still care about me? Do you want to be friends again? Have you truly forgiven me?"
Ed's smile grew wider and he stared up at Oswald as if he was his whole world.
"Yes. Yes to all of your questions. You complete me, Oswald... Having you by my side... what else could someone else ask for?"
Oswald gasped and felt himself begin to cry again. He stood up from his chair slowly and wrapped his arms around Ed, holding him tight. Ed mimicked Oswald, stroking his back and smiling into his shoulder. Ivy clapped her hands in delight and snapped a photo of the two, her smile almost as wide as Oswald and Edward's. Soon the pair broke apart and just stared at each other lovingly. Ivy sighed at this and then checked her watch.
"Ooh! There's still 30 seconds left," she squealed, kneeling down beside Ed. Oswald stared at her in confusion but she ignored him, an idea coming to mind.
"Edward?", she asked.
"Yes?"
"I need you to tell me the truth, okay?"
"Of course Ivy."
"Are you in love with Oswald?"

"Yes."