Chapter Six: Surrendering to my heart

The party had begun and it seemed like everyone was having a good time. There were so many nice looking guys around but I wasn’t interested because all I could think about was seeing Darion. The sun was starting to set and I was starting to think that Darion wouldn’t show up. While everyone was dancing and having a good time I just decided to sit in the sand and watch everyone else have a good time.

“Hey girl, what’s up with you sitting here all by yourself looking sad?” Angel asked.

“Nothing. I’m just starting to feel sick.” I lied.

“Are you sure it doesn’t have anything to do with Darion?” She asked. 

“No it doesn’t.” I said trying to sound convincing. 

“Well do you want me to stay here with you?”

“No, go and have fun, I’ll be okay.” 

“Are you sure?” 

“Yes, now go party.” I said.

The party was almost over and once again I felt foolish. I got all excited about Darion showing up and he never did. So many guys tried to talk to me but I wasn’t interested because all I cared about was seeing Darion. While my friends were conversing around me I wasn’t paying attention at all. Then Amber made an announcement thanking everyone for showing up, and for her presents, and that the fireworks for her were about to begin, but again I wasn’t paying any attention.

While Amber continued talking I just ignored everything and glared at the stars in the sky. Then I turned away from the water and I saw him. I couldn’t believe he showed up. I tried so hard not to smile but I couldn’t help it. I began walking towards him and he walked towards me. As I got closer I noticed that there was a red rose in his hand. I was so happy at that moment that I didn’t say anything to him. I just hugged him.

“And I thought I was just happy to see you.” He said surprised at my reaction.

“I’m glad you made it. Even though the party is just about over.” I finally said.

“Well I’m sorry I kept you waiting but I was having car trouble.”

“That’s ok.”

“Well I got you this and I hope you like me, I mean it.” He said.

I smiled and took the rose. 

“Yes I do like you, I mean it.” I mocked.

Then all of a sudden we kissed. And as we kissed the fireworks began.

The kissing continued for what felt like an eternity and what made us stop was a flashing bright light near us that turned out to be Tina’s camera. 

“Aww this picture came out great.” Tina said as she looked at the picture. 

“So, are you going introduce us?” Amanda said with a smile on her face.

 As I walked towards them Darion decided to hold my hand. 

“Okay, Darion this is Tina, Amanda, Angel, and Jazmine. Everyone this is Darion.”

“Wow, he’s cute...” Tina though out loud. 

Amanda elbowed her. 

“... I mean nice to meet you.” Tina corrected herself.

Darion smiled.

“Nice to meet you all. Do you girls mind if I steal Jazlynn away from the party?” 

I stared at him with a confused look on my face. 

“Sure, and don’t worry about Angel, I’ll take her and Tina home.” Amanda said.

Darion and I walked away towards his car holding hands. 

“Have fun!” The girls yelled. 

“I’m glad you found the cure to your sickness.” Angel teased.

I began to laugh a little.

Everyone left the beach except Darion and me. We stayed and watched the water reflect the night sky.

My phone began to ring. 

“Hello.”

“Hey sweetie, I have to go to work in the morning so I’m about to lock the doors and get some sleep. Do you have your key?” My mother answered. 

I looked at Darion and then I looked down. 

“Um would it be okay if I spend the night over Jazmine’s house.” 

“Okay, well goodnight then.”

“Goodnight.” I said before ending the call.

“I thought you were staying with me to watch the sunrise.” Darion said.

“I am. That’s why I told my mom that. Do you think she’d let me spend the night with a guy?” 

He laughed. 

“You’re so smart and that’s another reason I like you so much. Jazlynn I never said this to a girl before but... I love you. Jazlynn, would you be my girlfriend?” 

I couldn’t believe what I heard, but I truly believed that Darion meant what he said and I felt the same way about him. 

“I love you too and I would love to be your girlfriend.” I answered.

We began kissing again as we laid on top of his car. We stopped and cuddled while looking at the stars. For some strange reason I began thinking about school. We only had a few weeks left until school started. I knew the people at our school wouldn’t accept our relationship. 

“You do know what we’re gonna go through at school right?” I asked him.

He thought about everyone at school staring and talking about us but he didn’t care. 

“Yeah... I know.”

We cuddled all night until the sunrise.