Ch.9

Sabrina woke up feeling a little refreshed than before. She could smell someone cooking pasta so she got up and headed to the kitchen.

"Morning Sabrina. Did you finally get some sleep?"

"Morning Hershel. And yes, I got a little bit more sleep." She said walking up to Axel, helping him with the bowls.

Beth came in with Judith and the woman that Sabrina blew up on and the level-headed guy stood up.

"How old is the baby?" The woman asked with amazement.

"Barely a week." Hershel answered.

The woman walked over to Beth. "To be honest we never thought we'd see another baby. Beautiful."

"Thanks."

"How are you feeling?"

"She's not mine."

"Where's the mother?" She asked then looked over at Sabrina.

She shook her head with a sad look while everyone stayed quiet. The woman looked back to Beth saying sorry then walking away. Beth fixed the bottle and went back to the cells.

"Man, you people have been through the mill." The level-headed one said.

"Haven't we all?"

"It's only getting worse out there. Dead are everywhere. And it's only making the living less like the living."

Sabrina gave Ana her bowl and sat down next to her and started to eat too.

"You're the only decent folks we've come across."

"You've been out there all this time?"

"Our neighbor Jerry, he was one of those survivalist nuts. Everybody on the block thought he was crazy. Always preparing for the end of the world."

"Who knew?"

"Jerry knew. He had a bunker under his shed in the backyard. Sasha and I stayed there until we ran out of supplies. Allen and Ben were the first two people we ran into when we finally crawled up out of that hole around Jacksonville. Used to be a bunch of us, twenty-five at one point."

"If you don't mind me asking, what happened to Jerry?" Sabrina asked when she swallowed her noodles.

"He decided to go up to Michigan to see his son and daughter. We never heard from him again." The level-headed guy said.

"Our camp got run six, seven weeks ago."

"And Donna-" The guy couldn't finish.

"We'll see that she had a proper burial." Hershel reassured.

"I appreciate you taking care of us. For a while, we didn't know who we were dealing with."

"Neither did we. We've had our problems with people."

Shane.

"I must be the first brother in history to break into prison." Level headed guy joked which made Hershel and Sabrina chuckle.

When Ana and her mother were done, Sabrina cleaned the bowls quickly while Ana went back to the cells.

"Makes me the first white boy that didn't want to break out." Axel said half-joking.

Sabrina decided to go back to the cells and help Beth out. "I'll take her Beth. You look exhausted."

Beth slowly handed her Judith and the burp rag. "Thank you." She said with tears in her eyes.

"Oh Beth sweetie, don't cry." She said holding the baby in one hand and pulling Beth into a hug with the other. "I bet you'll feel a little bit better if you get some rest. I'll tell everyone to let you be for a while."