Wattpad Original

Chapter 54

Without bothering to grab any food, I sat down at the table and waited for Nicky to show up for breakfast. I took a drink of water while waiting, watching the crowds, although it looked like a regular morning.

Nina and Daniel entered the room before Nicky did. Daniel took one small pancake while Nina took a bit of everything on the buffet table. As I half expected, they headed in my direction.

Nina slowed as she approached my table. "Mind if we join you?"

"Go for it."

I refused to admit that I'd hoped she would show up. She had said something about talking with my sister over the radio today, and I had a few other questions for her as well.

She relaxed and sat on the other side of the table, across from me, leaving Daniel the outer seat, which was also the farthest one from me. The seat next to me was left open for Nicky, who happened to walk in the door right at that moment.

As Nicky grabbed a plate, someone in the line ahead of her conveniently took both coffeepots into the kitchen, presumably to refill the half-full decanters.

Nina glanced over her shoulder, trying to see what had captured my interest.

"I'm waiting to see if the coffeepots appear before or after Nicky leaves that side of the room," I murmured, my eyes never leaving the redhead.

"If both of them are gone, I doubt they will reappear until she's on her way over here. They usually disappear if she's in the line."

The people here were apparently quick learners. Admittedly, Nicky had given them plenty of incentive when it came to coffee. Nicky's gaze lingered on the empty spot but grabbed a glass of water instead and continued in our direction.

Reassured that Nicky was cutting her losses on the coffee front, I turned my gaze to Nina. "What time is my sister calling?"

"About one o'clock our time. Do you know where the radio relay room is?"

I shook my head. I'd seen the tower standing in the meadow outside the fence, but there wasn't a building beside it.

"It's in the main building, on the ground floor. I can show you after we finish eating."

Nicky reached us and sat down with a yawn. "So, you decided to return after all."

"If Jess is coming here, it's pointless for me to leave."

"True, but I know quite a few people who would've panicked if they'd learned someone was interested in their blood type. Particularly if that someone was a scientist keen on unlocking the secrets of the zombie universe."

"Technically, I'm a medical researcher," Nina commented.

Nicky gave her a long look. "Do you have a white coat and play with vials and those weird circle dishes?"

A few people were close enough to overhear our discussion. From the lack of surprise in their expressions, they must have heard I was now aware of what Nina's real job was.

"Yes," Nina replied, "the lab coat is for protection, and I have vials and Petri dishes."

"That sounds like a scientist to me."

"A medical researcher is a type of scientist that specializes in human diseases and on ways to prevent or treat them." Nina was apparently trying to educate Nicky, although I wished her luck with that task since I didn't see any difference either.

Nicky ate a forkful of scrambled eggs before saying, "I actually met a scientist before. I seriously hope you're smarter than he was. He once told me the world is made up of protons, neutrons, and electrons. The idiot completely forgot to mention morons, and I've seen an awful lot of those."