Chapter Three: The Unquiet Dead

"Hold that one down!" the Doctor ordered Jessie as the TARDIS jerked while in flight.

Jessie gaped at him, looking at the button a good ways away from the one she was currently trying to hold down. "I'm already holding this one down!"

He didn't even look up. "Well, hold them both down!"

She rolled her eyes. "Hate to annoy the girl, but all right, you asked for it," she drawled. And when the Doctor finally looked up, she hefted her leg and slammed her foot down on the button. He quirked an eyebrow at her in amusement, and she shrugged nonchalantly. "Did this on the bus all the time. Pissed May off to no end."

He snorted as he went back behind the console. "I bet."

"It's not gonna work!"

He popped up, looking so comical with a mock hurt impression that Jessie burst out laughing. "Oi!" he protested. "I promised you a time machine, and that's what you're getting! Now, you've seen the future. Let's have a look at the past. 1860." He looked at her. "How does 1860 sound?"

"What happened in 1860?" she asked curiously.

He gave her a grin. "I don't know. Let's find out!" She grinned back at him, nearly tumbling onto her back as he began flipping switches, occasionally tugging her foot to hold down the button she was stomping on better. "Hold on! Here we go!"

It took a few moments, but the TARDIS jerked, sending Jessie flying. She squealed when she hit the floor on her stomach, and she heard a similar thud nearby. As the TARDIS stopped, she rolled onto her back to see the Doctor lying in a similar state. They shared a glance, and they both burst out laughing. "Holy cow!" she giggled.

"You're telling me!" the Doctor agreed, jumping up happily and pulling her up with him.

"Nothing's broken," she replied, twisting around, wincing as she wrung out the kinks in her neck. "At least that's good. Did we land where we wanted to?"

The Doctor leaned over to check his screen, then grinned. "I did it!" he crowed. "Give the man a medal! Earth, Naples, December 24, 1860!"

"Wow," Jessie whispered. "It's Christmas."

He smiled at her. "All yours."

"Think about it." She leaned against the console, grinning at him through her hair when it hung down in her face. "Christmas of 1860. Happens once, and then it's gone. Never gonna happen again. But you - you can go back and see days that are dead and gone hundreds of sunsets ago." She shook her head. "No wonder you never stay still."

"Not a bad life," he agreed.

"Better with two," she added, and when he grinned at her, she grinned back. "C'mon, then!"

"Oi!" he called as she ran for the door. "Where do you think you're going?"

"Kind of obvious," she snorted. "1860."

"Go out there dressed like that and you'll start a riot, Barbarella." Jessie pouted, but the Doctor grinned at her. "Wardrobe's through there, though." He pointed. "First left, second right, third on the left, go straight ahead, under the stairs, past the bins, fifth door on your left."

"Where's a map when you need one?" Jessie deadpanned.

The Doctor just chuckled. "Go on, hurry up!"

Jessie grinned and ran through the TARDIS.

***

It took humans too bloody long to change.

It had been at least half an hour, and the Doctor had started fiddling with the TARDIS again when he heard footsteps. He looked up, then shot up so quickly he banged his head on the console.