[12]

"Ow..." [Name] groaned softly as her hand gently made its way up to her head. After she had fallen, she had experienced acute pain and blacked out. Now, there was a dull pain in her head.

It stopped. Then started. Stopped. Starte-

"[Name]?" 

[Name] looked up only to see Matthias's blue eyes shining happily. 

"[Name], oh my god! I thought you were gone..." Matthias said, his huge puppy dog eyes teary. The [h/c] haired girl sighed and realized she was on his lap. She blushed and scrambled off, only cueing more pain. 

"Ahh!" [Name] yelped, bringing her hand up to her head. 

"Calm down!" Matthias said, gently taking her hand in his. 

"Okay." The girl sighed. 

"I gave you painkillers. Imported from a kingdom in Spain. They won't fix the problem, but they are designed for long term pain relief." Matthias said, sounding a little proud of himself. 

[Name] smiled at his prideful look and looked around. 

"Where are we?" 

"You're in a carriage. We're going home." 

"B-Berwald?" [Name] asked suddenly, her stomach a brewing pot for fear. 

"He won't be attacking for a while." Matthias smirked, trying to be cool, but it didn't last long. 

"Did you see me?! He was all like 'oh haha I'm so evil!' but then I was like pow! Take that, loser! And..." Matthias kept talking and talking, but the girl zoned out. 

The scenery entranced her. Of course it did. She wasn't used to it. This was her first time on the Danish side of the border. Big, green, fields of cattle and other animals grazed. There were barely any trees.

It was so... Open.

When the path started becoming more paved, the carriage ride became a little smoother. [Name] once again looked out the window to see canals with magnificent tiny boats on them. Colorful cottages and houses, restaurants and stores. 

The only eerie thing about the kingdom was how nobody was outside. A single breeze blew through the window of the carriage, and the horse's clopping slowed down. 

"Come on. Sorry for the mess.." Matthias mumbled as he opened the door for her. 

There it was, the Danish castle, standing gloriously. 

By mess of course, Matthias meant the parts of the castle that were destroyed in the attack. The air smelled slightly of smoke, but [Name] didn't mind. Something else was on her mind. A sickening thought. 

Nobody who had the cursed disease lived this long. [Name] concluded that this was her final day. The painkillers were just given to make one's last moments peaceful. Apparently, the Spaniards didn't tell Matthias this, or he wouldn't be so happy and cheerful. 

Matthias smiled and turning around, grabbed [Name]'s hand. In that moment, the sun came out from behind the clouds. It stopped raining, and the sun shined on his bright blonde lion mane. She stared at him for a few seconds, eyes wide. 

He looked... Majestic. There was no other way to describe it. 

"[Name]?" Matthias asked. [Name] realized he had now dragged her into the castle garden. 

"Matthias-" She started, but paused. The soft sound of a fountain trickling were comforting. The birds singing their songs lit a warm fire in her heart. [Name] suddenly ran forward into his arms.

"[Name]?!" Matthias widened his eyes, surprised, but he held onto the girl. She buried her face in his warm chest for a few seconds, to which he blushed. Then, she looked up at him. He seemed quite flustered, which was ironic because he was a prince who talked to women all the time... And [Name] wasn't anything special. 

Before she knew it, he was kissing her. 

[Name] closed her eyes, melting into the kiss and let her guard down. Matthias wrapped his arms around her waist, tightly, securely, the way she liked it. He wanted to show the girl how much he loved her. 

[Name] wrapped her arms around his neck and he became stronger. He poured all his emotion and passion into the kiss, and when he pulled away, there was a single tear running down her face, starting from her eye. 

Matthias, shocked, reached up to wipe the tear away. 

"I think it's time for me to go to the infirmary." [Name] said. "Goodbye, Matthias." 

Matthias stared after you as you walked away, pale. 

He doesn't know that by goodbye... I'm walking to my deathbed. 

___

That night, the medicine wore off, and all everyone in the castle could hear was [Name]'s tortured screams of pain. The doctors all rushed into the infirmary in the middle of the night, frantically trying to find a medication that would work. However, anything was taken at this point would result in an overdose. 

"Just give it to me!" [Name] choked out a scream. "I'll die anyway!" 

Matthias had tried to get into the infirmary, but the guards blocked the door. 

"Let me in!" He protested. 

"She needs her rest." They insisted. "Doctor's orders." 

"I am your king!" Matthias huffed, and the guards looked a little uncomfortable.

"No. I'm sorry my lord. The doctors know what is best for her." 

Matthias settled for sitting outside the door, restlessly running a hand through his hair again and again. He had to see her. Matthias chuckled bitterly as reality struck him. 

She was going to die. She was going to die, and there was nothing he could do about it. Because he didn't have all the ingredients for the cure. What did he expect when he brought her back? That she would magically just be fine? 

Matthias felt himself slipping deeper and deeper into a pit of grief.