Revving Engines

"Fuck! We can't be lost." Bon repeated for the fifteenth time after we'd lost our last symbol. We'd tried backtracking, going tree by tree until we found ourselves in an entirely different area.

"Let's just try and make it back to the road, we have a higher chance of coming across that instead of searching for the others right away." I felt oddly numb at the moment, and my clear head helped us stay on track.

"Good idea, yeah, let's do that." Bon started heading in a different direction before pausing. "Which way would the road be?"

I shrugged, "one of us should climb a tree and see if there are any gaps between tree lines or whatnot." He nodded once again and heaved himself up onto a nearby tree branch. After a minute or so passed, I called up to him. "Can you see anything?"

"Um, I'm pretty sure I can see where the road is. Hang on, I'll be right down." I heard him lower himself, a few leaves falling off the tree and fluttering toward the ground. Once his feet were firmly on the ground I questioned which was our destination was. He raised his hand to point, but he faltered. "Let's see, I was standing on this side of the trunk, so.... uh," he pointed out a rough area. "It's somewhere over there."

I sighed in relief, "thank god, how far is it?" He remained silent and I nudged him, "you remember that, right?" He nodded and I grunted, "how far?"

"Like ten kilometers."

"You've gotta be kidding me, that's like two hours of nonstop walking." I ran my hands through my hair, my fingers snagging on the clumps of dried dirt and blood. Huffing, I told myself to calm down. "Well, standing around will only set us behind, so let's just get moving." Bon grunted in agreement and we set out on our journey. With no way of knowing if we were going in the right direction, or if what Bon saw was even the road to begin with.

.oOo.

"Bon, what time is it?"

"You know, when you constantly know the time like that, it makes the minutes seem longer." I hushed him and told him I just wanted to know the goddamn time, for fucks sake, it's not like knowing will kill me. "It's half past seven."

"You're shitting me,"

"One shall not be shitted as the time is correct."

"Knock it off, I'm not in the mood. We should've made it to the road by now, did we not go in the right direction?" I rubbed my arms and leaned against a tree, the cold was brisk, but thankfully, the trees blocked most of it's force.

Suguro stopped as well, clasping his hands together and blowing through them. "I don't know man, I know for a fact that I saw some sort of clearing in this direction. And it was a wide stretch, I can't think of anything else it could've been except for a road."

I hummed, "so, if it is the road, we must have veered off somehow. Maybe we should check again." He nodded and I offered to climb the tree this time, he looked worn out, and even if I felt the same, he was only human. I panted as I pulled myself up, branch by branch. It was sad how out of energy I was only halfway up the tree, but I powered through and gripped the trunk when I reached the top. It had grown past sunset and the only light came from the few stars that peaked from behind the clouds. "I can't see anything up here!"

"Nothing at all? Not even a darker shade of black?"

What was he, stupid? Darker shade of black.... whatever, I just answered him and climbed back down, throughly exhausted. "There's no way we can make it back at this rate. We'll have to camp out somewhere nearby until morning."

He nodded his head, "but I don't feel right giving in just now, can we just keep moving for a little bit?" I relented and followed behind him in silence. He, however, seemed chatty for some reason. "Your life kinda sucks, Okumura."