Antenna

The sun was comforting and I basked in its warmth. We need to get out more, life is too short not to go to the beach. My gaze swept over the waves of the ocean, water slapping against the bank and adding a lovely... wait, haven't I been here before? My eyes flickered over to my friends, but one in particular caught my eye. Shiemi was in her pink swimsuit and she was laying on top of a towel. Why do I have this weird sense of deja vu? Shiemi glances up at my, catching my stare and giving me a small smile.

I smiled as well, but the act was forced. Renzo and Bon catcalled from a distance away, but I couldn't shake the feeling of something being off. I turned to Shiemi, about to ask if she had this sensation as well, but she cut me off. "Stop being an idiot."

Something clicked, I've definitely been here before. She was about to say something else, but it was my turn to cut her off. "No, you stop being and idiot." I paused for a moment, surprised at my tone. "Why are we all sitting here, laughing and having fun when," my eyes widened and I got to my feet. "Where is the van?" Suddenly the hair on the back of my neck stood up. I turned on my heels, only to come face-to-face with my twin.

His skin was pale and it had a small sheen to it. Dirt was dried on his forehead and clumped in his hair. I reached out to grab a hold of his shoulders but my hand passed right through him. I stumbled back, wide eyed.

That's when I noticed it, the circle that surrounded me. Everyone from cram school and a few people from the beach, they all encompassed me. Except Suguro, he was in the circle with me, facing my direction, he looked ragged, but the look in his eyes was menacing. His tone was firm and sent a shiver up my spine, "run."

I swallowed hard, "what?"

He reached out, but unlike Yukio, his hands landed on my shoulder and he shook my violently. "Run!" I jolted and he shook me even harder, the intimidation in his eyes reaching a peak. "Run!"

My eyes snapped open and I pushed myself up into a sitting position. My breathing was ragged and I sputtered and coughed for a few moments. When I calmed down slightly, I realized that my fear hadn't ebbed. I reached up and felt the hair at my nape, my body was sensing something. Something I couldn't-

There, I heard it. A twig snapping, but from where? I crawled forward, my ears twitching. I was vaguely aware of how tired I was, but the adrenaline pushed me through.

I paused for a moment, listening to.... nothing. I tuned into my hearing and focused harder than I ever had before. I was completely blind, it was the middle of the night and the trees blocked any possible moonlight. My body was a live wire, any subtle change in the atmosphere sent shock waves through me. I listened even harder, sitting stock still.

...

...

...

...?

Nothing? I sighed and sat back on my knees. Maybe I was just overly conscious because of the dream. I shook my head and ran my hands through my hair, my fingers getting tangled in the mess. I pulled at the strands and only got irritated when pain was the only outcome. I grunted and pulled harder, damn near pulling my scalp off in the process. No luck. That, coupled with my agitation over my lackluster sleep made me flip a switch.

I cussed and my anger got the best of me, my flames momentarily making an appearance. What came next happened in slow motion.

As my flames died out, my eyes caught a hold of moving figures. Large bodies that moved through the forest with a sense of grace I could never wield. Their eyes glowed in the light of the fire; orange, green, yellow, and red. Watching me... no, us. Bon was sleeping silently next to a tree a few feet away. One of the bodies inched toward him and I reacted on instinct.