Prologue

I scanned the horror section for anything that looked good. Ghost stories, psychological horror... slashers... I guess that could be worth a try. I grabbed one and started to read the back as my friend Mason came up next to me.

"Hey, September," he said.

"Hey," I echoed, putting the book back.

"Trying out horror," he asked. When I gave him a nod he said "Don't you know that movies are just better?" He held up a few movies and handed the stack to me.

I mumbled the titles as I flicked through the pile. The Shining, Carrie, Evil Dead, It- "Hell no," I said, shoving the final one back in his hands. "That movie scares the shit outa me."

Mason snorted. "Come on, Sep," he said with a broad grin. "The practical effects totally sucked!"

I glanced back at the bookshelf. "Maybe reading the actual book will make the movie a little less scary." It was on the top shelf. Even when I stretched up on the tips of my toes I couldn't reach. Neither could Mason when he tried.

A large hand reached over my head and got the book down for me. As I took the book I turned around to see a tall man with thick dark hair. He wore a dress shirt and a bright red tie.

"Thank you," I said with a smile.

"My pleasure," he said, returning my smile and then briskly walking away. He must've had some place to be.

A wince escaped my throat as I brought my arm down.

Mason narrowed his eyes at me.

I pretended to read the back cover of the book when I felt a sharp ache in my side that caused me to let out a small yelp. "Did you just poke me," I whisper-yelled.

"That depends," he said, "why did it hurt that much?"

I sighed and lifted my shirt just enough for Mason to see the large bruise.

"Your dad hurt you again." I lowered my shirt. "You gotta tell someone, Sep."

"I broke a plate. It was my fault."

Mason shook his head in disgust. "That doesn't give him the right to do something like this." He massages the bridge of his nose. "Look, you need to go home, pack a bag and I'll pick you up at your house around nine." His voice got quieter with every word. "You can stay at my house. Mom won't mind."

I set the book on a lower shelf and turned back to my friend. "Okay."

We headed to the checkout and Mason payed for his movies and a couple magazines he'd picked up on the way there.

The checkout guy was extremely attractive with a warm smile and freckles dotting his nose and cheeks. His smile passed over me and landed on Mason. While they flirted I was busy thinking about the exact things I would pack.

I saw my dad get in line behind us and gave my friend a nudge in the shoulder to get him to hurry up. He got the message and we started outside.

"The checkout guy was really cute," Mason said, poking me in my shoulder, which was a much better place to do so. "Why didn't you get his number?"