Brandon

"This is your captain speaking," began the pilot. Brandon blocked him out, looking over at Kara instead. She gripped the seat lightly and her face was white as a sheet. He put his hand over the top of hers and she flipped it around so that they could intertwine their fingers.
"It's going to be okay," he said gently, placing a kiss on her forehead.
"I know. It's just the thought of all the things that could go wrong," she replied and gave him a weak smile.
   The plane began to move, slowly turning onto the runway. Brandon gave Kara's hand a reassuring squeeze as the plane picked up speed and they were pushed back into their seats.

Kara yawned widely as they wandered through the airport, searching for the car rentals. YouTube had provided them a car as well as a plane ticket for Brandon.
While they had been in the air, Brandon had had plenty of time to think about the danger that lay ahead of him; a competition that could change his life, for better or worse, forever. Money or death. It was an immense decision to have to make and he was terrible at making choices. That's why he always let his stream chat or Kara make them for him.
But this time he wasn't listening to Kara. She didn't want him to be here at all giving it a chance. She wanted him home, where it was safe and they could be together, even if they weren't rich. Yet something about the idea of risking his life intrigued him, and it was a feeling he never dreamed would interest him. He'd never been brave or strong. He's always just been a gamer nerd. But this was his chance to change that.
"Pete!" Yelled a familiar voice. Brandon and Kara turned to see Matt and Rob striding towards them.
"You guys got the letter too?" Brandon asked. He was glad to have found some friends, but the idea of being in the competition with Rob was slightly terrifying.
"Yeah and I'm assuming you guys did too?" Inquired Rob.
Kara shook her head, "I didn't get one. Only Brandon did."
"Oh. What do you make of all this? You think they're serious about the possible death part?" Rob asked.
"I don't see why they wouldn't be," Brandon answered. "But we should probably get there and find out."
The drive to the studio wasn't very long, but the silence between Kara and Brandon was stagnant. When they arrived, Brandon parked but didn't get out. Instead he turned to Kara.
"I know that you don't want me to do this, babe," he began, "but I have to. I don't know what it is, but I just have to."
She looked out the window and Brandon saw tears rolling down her cheeks in the reflection. His heart plunged with guilt at making her cry.
"I just don't know what I'd do if I lost you," she finally said, her words were choked.
Brandon reached across to her and turned her towards him.
"Kara, look at me. You're not going to lose me. I'm gonna get out, I promise."
She smiled wanly and he kissed her forehead, her nose and then her lips.
"Come in with me," he said.
She looked sadly at him, "I don't think I can bear it. Just promise me that if it's too dangerous, you won't do it. Promise me, Brandon."
"I promise. I love you, Kara." He gave her one last hug and kiss before opening the door and walking away from her for what could be the last time.