Chapter 40- Zosia

Ali had been safely dropped off at Day treatment and Zosia had explained the situation to the clinicians. Zosia and Ollie walked in to the Wyvern réception hand in hand. They bought a coffee each and got into the lift. Ollie kissed Zosia gently as it reached the first floor. He then went onto AAU ward to start his shift. Zosia arrived on Darwin and changed into her scrubs. "And this too shall pass." She said to herself in the mirror and walked onto the ward. "Ah Doctor March. Bay 4 Luciana Boten, 14." Jac Naylor said and handed Zosia a file. "Severe asthma"
Zosia smiled at Jac and went to find her patient.
"Miss Boten" Zosia asked a teenager wearing an oxygen mask. The teenager lifted the oxygen mask "call me Luci."
"Ok Luci, can you tell me what happened?"
"Well I was doing an English test.Then suddenly I couldn't breathe. The teacher thought it was anxiety because half my school have that and wouldn't let me leave the lesson until I collapsed because my oxygen sats were so low."
Zosia smiled curtly.
"They're still a little bit low but seem to be improving with that oxygen. I need to take you for a chest X-ray."
A nurse came in "I'll take her Doctor March. You're wanted for a consult on AAU"

"Ollie" Zosia hugged her boyfriend. "Leah Mayakova- chest pains and vomiting." Ollie showed Zosia to bed 5.  Zosia listened to Leah's chest then turned away and spoke to Ollie "you are aware that you are far more qualified than me to diagnose angina"
" I know, I just wanted to check in with you. To check you are ok" Ollie smiled at her
"I'm fine!" Zosia said defensively.
"And I just wanted to see my girlfriends beautiful face, that's no crime." Ollie smiled. He knew Zosia wasn't ok but there was no use in broaching the subject with her. He wanted to tell Jac what had happened and to keep an eye on Zosia, but he knew Zosia wouldn't thank him for it so decided not to.
Zosia returned to Darwin and went to listen to Luciana's  chest. "May I lift your top a little?" Zosia asked. "Sure" Luciana  answered. Zosia lifted Luciana's  top. There were a few big bruises on Luciana's back. "Where did you get these bruises?" Zosia asked. Luci stayed silent "Luciana?" Zosia asked again. "My stepdad, Adrien." Luci looked at the floor. "He hits me, sometimes." Luci continued to tell Zosia all about her stepdad. "I don't have a dad just Adrian he hurts me When mums there too, she knows all about it. He kicks me too sometimes with his big boots on." Zosia thought immediately of Ali but managed to stay calm and listen to Luciana's chest."
Half an hour later Zosia was sat at the computer at the nurses station and Jac came over. "Luci's mum and Dad are on their way." Jac told Zosia
"You mean her mum and stepdad?" Zosia asked
"No, her mum and Dad."
"Luci told me she doesn't have a Dad, just her mum and stepdad Adrian, she said he abuses her, I have rung social services and they're on their way."
"Zosh, I know Luciana's family, well Jonny does, they've got another little girl Sophia who's Emma's age and goes to nursery with her. Honestly they are a loving family. I think Luciana's lieing to you."
Zosia went back into bay four followed by Jac." Luciana the social services are on their way to take you into care" Zosia looked sternly at Luci
"Why?"
"While we investigate your stepfather for his abuse that you reported earlier. Obviously they will also take Sophia to a separate home as your homes not safe."
"No!" Luci looked at Zosia then at the floor "He didn't hit me. I fell off my bike."
Zosia exploded "You stupid, stupid little girl! Kids are getting abused every day and here you are making it up. You make me sick."
"Zosia that's enough" Jac touched the younger doctors arm but she shook her off.
"Thousands of Kids are too scared to tell people about abuse because they're scared that they won't be belived. People are killed by abusive partners. BECAUSE Of PEOPLE LIKE YOU!"
"ZOSIA!" Jac shouted above Zosia's rant.
"What? She's just a stupid child."
"Zosia! My office now !"Jac looked at Zosia who strode off toward the consultants office. She stood with her back to the door. Jac was trying to open the doors "Zosia, open the door or I'll kick it in!" Zosia moved away from the door stood with her arms crossed defiantly facing Jac. Jac came in and shut the door behind her "You can start by telling me what that was all about?"
"my aunt Klaudia, Natalia's mother is in an induced coma....her boyfriend assaulted her...massive brain haemorrhage...subdural heamatoma.... he was abusing Natalia too. And Luciana's just...."
"Hey it's ok" Jac interrupted and took Zosia's hands in hers, Zosia shook her off . "It's okay"
"I know I'm fine!" Jac noticed Zosia's eyes were darting around like she was following a game of tennis on the back wall of the office.
"Zosia, go home." Jac looked at the younger doctor "I don't need to go home I'm fine."
"Are you sure?"
"Yes!" Zosia said decisively.
"Ok, but you're just doing admin and you will go and apologise to Luciana." Jac said sternly then softened her tone "and Zosh I'm sorry about your aunt. You need to tell me when something like this happenes. And when did you last see your psych."
"I don't need to see Dr Lewis. I saw her last week." Zosia lied. She actually hadn't seen her psychiatrist for over 4 months.

Zosia went to talk to Luciana. "Luciana,  i am sorry I shouted at you earlier. It was unprofessional and unfair."
"S'aright, I kinda deserved it. I was acting like a spoiled brat because my dad won't let me go to this party because he wants me to watch Sofia and thinks there'll be drink and drugs there. There probably will be tbh."
Zosia spent the rest of the day doing admin. Jac kept an eye on her. There was definitely something not right with her. But Jac thought it was more than just what had happened in Gloucester."