An Ordinary Kid

Ruby waltzed into her, well, her's and Blacker's, office. She dumped the box of jelly donuts onto a desk precariously stacked with confidential papers of national security.

Jeepers, Blacker is even worse than usual today!

Ruby plopped down into the spinning chair behind the slightly less messy desk. She peered over at the pile again and winced.

Work at Spectrum had dried up since the New Year, and while she was glad about not having to worry about psychopaths trying to kidnap her or moles in the agency, Ruby was definitely not glad about the remaining paperwork that got pushed aside during the better half of a year.

Frankly, school seemed like an escape from Spectrum, apart from maybe Mrs Drisco's lessons.

She had been waiting for Blacker for a while now.

Better get on with this paperwork then.

Midday through a pile of total yawns, her Bradley Baker watch suddenly bleeped.

A message from LB.

'Redfort. My office. Now.'

Donuts. That message would never mean something good.

Ruby hightailed it down to reception, where the new Buzz - Agent Downfield - waved and inlined his head towards the direction of LB's office, while still continuing his multiple conversions in a collection of languages into different colourful phones, all at once.

Approaching LB's office, Ruby slowed her pace and calmed her breathing. She didn't want LB to realise how flustered she truly was. Although, knowing LB, she was probably watching her do all this from a camera or something.

As if proving her right on that train of thought, LB's sharp voice came through the door.

"Redfort! Get your ass in here pronto."

Jeepers, Ruby muttered under her breath, somebodies in a rush today.

"I heard that." Came that voice from the room.

Ruby twisted the handle on the door and pushed it open. She quickly turned around and closed it, then started making her way across the office to the only available seat.

The office was rather busy.

LB was sitting on her side of the desk, with Hitch, Blacker - that's where he went - SJ and a man currently with his back to her on the other.

Hitch and Blacker - and LB for that matter - had shocked, dazed even, smiles on their faces. SJ just looked happy, if a tad smug.

The man with his back to her turned around milliseconds after Ruby slid into the spare chair.

She recognised him instantly. It couldn't be him and yet... it definitely was.

"Baker?"

*****

OMG I'M SO SORRY FOR NOT UPDATING! THANK YOU TO EmbersofMemories FOR FINALLY GETTING ME TO WRITE THIS!

I promise I will try to update more regularly from now on! (I'm working on the next chapter straight after this!) ❤️❤️❤️