Chapter 2

In upendi, where the passion fruit grows sweet. And it's so divine that you lose your mind as it sweeps you off your feet

-Rafiki, Lion King

*     *     *

My father laughed good naturedly as I buried my face in the crook of his neck, hungrily taking in his scent, my smile growing at the realization that this moment was truly perfect.

"Come on bud, I've only been gone for two weeks," my father protested, subtly trying to push me off his chest.

I groaned and wrapped my arms firmly around him, keeping him in place. "I've been deprived of a daddy for two weeks. Surely that's reason enough to show you some love," I whined, unsatisfied by his reaction. After school I had driven straight home, assuming he was already back in Andover after his business trip.

"Bud, I know these good looks are deceiving, but your old man can't take your bone crushing hugs anymore," he shot back, this time in a smug tone.

I sighed and reluctantly set him free, before shrugging at the amused looks my father was throwing my way. "What? I let you go didn't I?"

"I've never gotten such a hearty welcome before. Anything you need to tell me?" He inquired, his voice pitching up at the end, indicating his worry.

I rolled my eyes and stalked to the fridge, opening it and scanning the items in it before making a mental note to stop by Richardson's to buy more milk on my way home tomorrow. Disappointed by the lack of snacks in the fridge, I closed it and walked back into the living room.

"I didn't do anything, I just missed you. That's all. It gets lonely here sometimes," I said gaily, whilst grabbing my bags off the floor and heading for the stairs.

"Well you sure know how to make your old man feel special," he replied and pulled a small smile before turning his attention to the TV. He was watching something about meerkats and their taming noises?

"Well, I'm sure Mom would have done the same," I replied, my voice almost inaudible.

I knew he heard me but he didn't reply. Instead he turned up the volume on the TV and popped his beer open before loosening his tie and leaning back into the couch.  With that I took to my room.
Dumping my bags at the door and removing my sneakers,  I quickly stripped myself down and jumped into the shower, my tense muscles immediately responding to the hot water.  
A couple of minutes later I was smelling fresh and feeling snuggly in my pyjama dress and woolen knee socks as I scrolled through the available movies on Netflix for an appropriate one to watch.
My phone buzzed and I dug into my blankets to retrieve it.

3 new messages

I frowned and unlocked my phone before opening the messages.

18:56 pm, Unknown : hey Harper?

18:56 pm, Unknown : it's Chrissa from school.

18:57 pm, Unknown : I need your help, Morgan just passed out.

My eyes widened at the message. What? Why? How? Where? Eventhough Morgan and I weren't exactly friends, she was the closest person to a friend I actually had and the same went for her. I wasn't very...sociable. Ever since my mother passed, I constantly shut people out. Not because I didn't want friends, but it was easier that way.