Chapter:12

Six months later

"I don't care. He's going with me Beau. You may think it's not safe but those guys are nothing like the rodeo guys." I said as I picked Wyatt up. He clung to me as if knowing his father was upset. "Wyatt who do you want to go with?" Beau asked our son. "Ma ma." Wyatt said burying his head into my neck. "We'll be back before dark. You can go to that jackpot in town. I'd rather watch our son instead of going because you don't trust those cowboys." I said before closing the front door.

I stuck Wyatt in his car seat and buckled him in. "Why? Haven't I been a good father to our boy?" Beau asked. "Yes. But you need to calm down and take a chill pill. Remember you weren't there for the first five months." I said as I got in. I drove off. At the stop sign I saw James in his mud toy. I hit the air lift and looked in the rear view mirror. Wyatt looked surprised. His little mouth forming a perfect 'O'.

"Having fun my little man?" I asked him. As soon as we got to the mud field I saw James with some girl. I got out, the fourteen inch lift making me use the runners and tires. "Well well what do we have here?" I looked behind me as I opened the back seat door up sliding in to sit down. "Time away from the cowboy." I said to Jake. "Need some help?" He asked.

"Nah." I said unbuckling Wyatt. I set him on the seat. He stayed put as I got onto the tire and runner. He moved into the floorboard. I finally got down grabbing him up. "Smooth." He said. "Yeah. He was worried about the guys here." I said. "Those cowboys are a rougher bunch. Their own breed of man." Jake said.

"I know. I kinda wish that one in particular would get lost." I said. "Hey you could always go for a mudder." He said. "Yeah. Because you guys always wanna take the family along." I said. He chuckled. "And that's why you were introduced to this group of guys." He said.

"Ma." Wyatt said. "Shew." He added. The only word he uses when he needs a diaper change. "One second." I said setting him in the floorboard for him to crawl into the seat. "That boy knows his words doesn't he?" Jake said. "Yes he does." I said as I changed Wyatt's diaper. Once Wyatt had a clean diaper he reached into the bag I had for him and dug out a bag of Cheetos.

"No sir. Not until lunch little man." I said sticking it back in the bag. "Hey Cheyenne. Wanna go through a hole before Jamesey boy does?" He asked. "What? And scare off that blonde he has?" I said. "Oh you know good and well." He said. "Mind if I go with?" "Not at all." I said. He ran around to the other side and got up in one fluid motion.

A truck pulled up beside mine. "Hey it's your brother and the cowboy." Jake said as I sat Wyatt on my lap. He squealed when I put it in drive. Jake chuckled. After going through two low laying I raised it a few more inches. Wyatt's face was hard to miss. "He loves it?" Jake asked. "Uh yeah. He's his mama's boy." I said.

Jake let out another chuckle. "Want me to hold him as you go throttle next one?" He asked. "Wyatt. Wanna go over to Jake?" I asked my boy pointing at Jake. He looked over at him then crawled over. "Come here buddy. Let's see how well your mama drives." He said pulling Wyatt onto his lap. Once he had Wyatt secured on his lap he nodded giving me the go ahead.

I took off full throttle. After going through several I looked over at my boy. He had squealed several times. He had a grin bigger than Texas itself. As we passed my brother and Beau mud flung. I knew I covered them up. Several others joined. "Holy cow girl you still got it." Jake said. Wyatt was laughing his head off. "Think he loves his mama more than his father now." Jake said.

"Oh well. He tried." I said. He chuckled as I backed into a spot next to his truck. Right between Jake and James. "Oh your brother looks annoyed." Jake said. "And the cowboy's upset." I said. Jake had let Wyatt crawl back over to me. I got out just before grabbing him. "So that's what you and my nephew love to do." Ash said. "Hey he enjoyed every minute of it." I said. "I bet." Ash said.

"How are ya Ash?" Jake asked. "Good and you?" Ash said. "Good myself." Jake said as Beau came up and stood next to me. "And I don't think I've met the cowboy yet." Jake stated. "Names Beau. And I'd appreciate you not flirting with my girl." Beau said. Wyatt reached for the ground. I set him down. He went over to Ash and hugged his leg. "Hey bud. Enjoying the trucks?" He asked Wyatt.

Wyatt nodded. "Your mom got me all muddy didn't she?" Ash said picking him up. Wyatt laughed as Ash tickled him. I had to laugh too. Another deep rumble of laughter joined my own. I looked over at Jake. He was chuckling along. Maybe I don't have to stay with this cowboy. He's only thinking for himself in this so why keep him around.

"Why is the outside so filthy while the inside is so clean?" Beau asked. "Because I can't see my paint job." I said, Jake joining in. The history between us goes half as deep as James. We met in junior high when my brother and his sister were dating. They had just moved to town sixth grade.