Entry 3)Cursed Hanging Ground

"Season of the Witch" by Lana Del Rey
***

The rest of the day passed slowly. My day was spent scribbling down notes in classes while dreading detention after school. By the time I was there, the event was more boring than I anticipated. Detention would only be four hours long, but the idea of sitting and doing nothing but homework without my MP3 to keep me company was sad. The hours seemed to tick by incredibly slow. The only noise that could be heard was the occasional coughing wheeze from the overweight Tennis coach watching over myself and my fellow delinquents. Even the clock hanging above the chalkboard wall was silent. The clock frozen in place at midnight. There was only four of us on a Friday, which was a bit surprising. I didn't bother conversing with anyone as I tried my best to finish the homework for the weekend.

By the time detention finally ended, I only had an essay on the American Revolution left to complete. Coach Jenkins, from the tennis team, was fast asleep, completely oblivious to the bell ringing to signal our release. I considered leaving early, like the goth kid and Storm Matthews - the latter coincidentally in detention for crotch-punching a guy in the locker room - but I didn't want to risk worsening my streak of bad luck. The last thing I needed was a demerit on my report card for ditching detention; that alone could result in being held back a year.

I strolled down the long, plain hallway, passing rows of lockers. My backpack hung over my left shoulder, and my dress shirt was increasingly annoying as I rolled up the sleeves. Just as I was about to exit the building, I spotted the familiar face of my sister, which stopped me in my tracks. "Evelyn? What are you still doing here?"

She hadn't been able to get a ride home, given that I was in detention this evening. Still, I figured she could have paged our father to come get her, as he did with Noah, or she could have at least taken the bus. Evelyn looked miffed as she slammed her locker shut, her cheeks flushed. "I had a tutoring session with Adam Jones," she said, her tone annoyed.

I groaned, already anticipating that the guy was going to be an even bigger creep than usual when he crossed paths with her again. I just hadn't expected Evie to have a tutoring session with him so soon.

Evelyn pulled me out of my thoughts by launching into a rant. "The guy spent a good hour complaining about the incident earlier! An hour! He never stopped talking and was his usual abrasive self if I tried to interrupt him. He called me an ugly geek yet again - which I didn't care about - before he bolted. Bolted! We accomplished nothing, and that means I'll have to spend another one of my free days from work next week to tutor him on the Taylor series of functions," she finished, pouting.

I rolled my eyes at my dutiful student of a sister. She was eyeing Ivy League schools and wanted her applications to shine compared to others. If she didn't ensure that the three people she was tutoring passed by the end of the year, she risked Principal Peterson not signing off on her recommendation. Personally, I didn't know what she was worried about. The middle-aged dude who ran our school adored Evie and practically thought she walked on water, as did all the other teachers. Evelyn could probably let Adam and the others she's tutoring fail and still get a great recommendation.

Something my sister said stopped me. "Wait, you tutor directly after school, right?"
"Yeah."

I frowned. "If you were tutoring Adam for an hour before he bolted on you, why are you still here three hours later?"

Evelyn sent me a look of irritation as she flung her backpack over her shoulders, her shoulders slumping from the heavy weight of the books. "Adam said he would be right back; he received a page from his friend. So, I thought he would be right back!"

I groaned as we made our way out of the school and towards the dimly lit parking lot. Of course, my sister would be dedicated enough to wait three full hours for someone to show up even after they blew her off. That was just the kind of person she was - always looking out for someone else. Even a jerk like Adam Jones was no exception...