02

How you hated family reunions!

                                  There had never been a reason to like them, if you thought about it.

                                               Your relatives would always tell Evelyn, in front of your face, how beautiful and perfect she looked. They would always wonder how that was even possible! For she already was the epitome of pure perfection.

                                       And then, they would turn around, meet your eyes and exclaim: 'Oh, hi, Rose! I didn't see you there. You've grown so much!'

                                      When, really, you hadn't.

                                        Poor, sweet Rose. This time, the family reunion wasn't a family reunion that included your family.

                                   Your parents had been invited to a family of their old friends, and by proxy, you both had to attend too. Evelyn and you, Rose, that is.

                               "Go get ready, we're leaving in half an hour," your father said. And you sighed, because you hated wearing makeup, but you loved that it made you look slightly better.

                                   You were a slave of your own foundation and mascara.

                                              So you spent twenty minutes doing your eyebrows, painting your face, putting on mascara and styling your hair. And you sighed when you realized that you didn't have much clothes and had to put on a big, grey sweater, some very simple jeans and your converses. And you internally sobbed when you saw your sister with her hair down, a beautiful turquoise blouse, a beige cardigan, her nice, thin jeans and her ballerina flats.

                                     She barely was wearing makeup, but she looked so perfect.

                                      How much you wished to be as perfect.

                                          And so, you all drove to your parent's friend's house and when you entered you realized there was a boy that you had seen before.

                                      He was the friend's nephew. And he was so handsome. As handsome as you remembered. You used to have a little crush on him, but had never dared to tell anyone, maybe too scared, maybe too embarrassed.

                                      And you thought that maybe just this once, he would notice you. Because you actually looked nice, with your expert makeup and your hair up in a bun full of curls, just like those Tumblr girls.

                                   But it all happened the same.

                                       Your sister was complimented for her beauty.

                                          You were told you had grown so much when, really, you hadn't.

                                              You were left on a corner, and you were invisible once more.

                                                   And he flirted with your sister and your sister flirted back.