2. Tape One of Five

STUDENT-ATHLETE RESUME

CLASS OF 2019 (SOPHOMORE)NAME: Kalani GreyDATE OF BIRTH: 03

NAME: Kalani Grey
DATE OF BIRTH: 03.17.2002
HEIGHT: 5'8" - 5'9"
SCHOOL: Chino Hills High School
STATE: California
SPORT-POSITION: Varsity Soccer - Forward/Midfielder
GPA: 3.91
COMMITTED/SIGNED TO: None

Early morning Mondays were created by the devil himself, according to many complaint-filled students across the globe including LaMelo Ball and Kalani Grey—who have traded phone numbers by force and not voluntarily like expected by many peers. They've been texting about Husky Heights and getting to know each other better since Friday for their own sake. No one else knows Mrs. Brenes threatened to change their grades other than LaMelo and Kalani, and they'd like to keep it that way along with their wonderful grades. After all, every Chino Hills coach has a poster in their office stating "Student-Athlete: Student before Athlete. Your grades aren't a game like the sports you play."

Kalani's phone dinged as she roamed through the hallways, heading toward the broadcasting and journalism class before school hours. She caught a glimpse of her phone screen to see that LaMelo had texted her, asking if she was already at school. Her eyebrows scrunched together when he suddenly texted "Never mind" almost immediately after. Kalani curiously looked up, listening for the beat of feet drumming against the floor like bongos; the sound of fresh Jordans.

When she whipped around her eyes caught LaMelo's as he stood alongside her in seconds, grinning like the Joker. "Ay, why won't you play me in 8-Ball Lani?" Melo asked, pushing her forward by the backpack. "Afraid to take another L?"

Kalani rolled her eyes at his playfulness. "The only thing I'm afraid of is a spider. L's don't scare me Melo, but they sure do scare you huh." She recalled staying up until one-in-the-morning playing games through iMessage with Melo, especially 8-Ball. "And you only won because I was tired after soccer practice." She pulled the front of her hair back and out of her brown-green eyes.

LaMelo chuckled then sat on the cold tiles. He patted the empty spot to his right, signalling Kalani to take a seat next to him. "'Ight then let's play while you're wide awake homie." He tugged his phone out of his matte black Big Baller Brand sweats after Kalani sat to his side at a reasonable distance. "Since you wanna make excuses and whatnot. Come here and look at all these wins I stole from you." He scooted closer to Lani and shoved his phone in front of her face but she looked away with denial. "Nah! You can't look away now that reality is sinkin' in Lani!"

"You talkin' now but wait until I deliver a nice big L to your bitch assyou're gonna have to start spelling LaMelo with three L's instead of two." Kalani sent him a request to play 8-Ball and he immediately accepted it and began playing. "If I win, you have to do some push-ups for those skinny arms of yours."

LaMelo looked up from his phone, and then at Kalani and competitively nodded. "Bet."

Minutes passed by and eventually the hallways echoed with the sound of LaMelo screeching because of Kalani. "Yo, get off! I'm about to win!" LaMelo said, laughing between each word.