5. For Better or Worse

STUDENT-ATHLETE RESUME

CLASS OF 2017 (SENIOR)                          NAME: Nevada GreyDATE OF BIRTH: 12

DATE OF BIRTH: 12.18.1998
HEIGHT: 6'1"
SCHOOL: Chino Hills High School
STATE: California
SPORT-POSITION: Varsity Volleyball - Outside Hitter
GPA: 3.67
SIGNED TO: The University of Southern California

Kalani's heart rumbled beneath her rib cage at the sound of the bell indicating the end of the eight-minute nutrition break and the beginning of a six-minute passing period. LaMelo left her side despite not yearning to however Kalani was rejoined by Terra Torres, the girl who was forging a title for herself exclusively. Terra hummed musical patterns, trying to get Kalani's undivided attention away from LaMelo Ball's entire existence yet failing miserably and resorting to brute force that could not pierce through Lani's muscles.

Irritated, Terra rudely gestured towards her best friend. "Hey—excuse me Mrs. Ball! Your juice box is leaking."

"Huh?" Kalani abandoned her walking like she assumed her father would do to her one day, then jerked her head down to discover nothing out of the ordinary, then glared at Terra knowing she'd been a fool to her subterfuge. "First, don't call me Mrs. Ball unless you wanna get stuck; Second, I don't have a juice box."

"I know but you sure do have LaMelo in your head." Terra pushed Kalani forward to keep moving her legs. "You ditched me this morning for macaroni, Maruchan ramen, Jack in the Box curly fry, nappy headed young boy."

"I wasn't thinking about LaMelo..." her eyes wandered and wouldn't meet Terra's.

"Imma pretend you said the opposite of that because obviously its not true." Terra rested her arm on Kalani's shoulders and around her neck. "Tell me what happened." She demanded, pulling Kalani closer like a sinister investigator willing to attempt any method in order to attain the required information from their victim.

Kalani hesitated although she knew good and well Terra was a trustworthy human-being. "H-He..." —she fiddled with the tips of her finger nails like an adolescent— "he's supposed to be taking me to his place today, after basketball practice."

"What?!"

"I didn't ask to go! Melo invited me so I said yes 'cause at the moment it seemed like a good idea since all his friends wanted me to come over too." Kalani whimpered.

Terra lazily glared up at Kalani, like she had experienced enough bullshit from LaMelo and Kalani today. "You're gonna get raped."

"Nah—Onyeka's too big for me and Eli has a girlfriend already just like LiAngelo."

"O-who?" Terra struggled to say. She took the first step into Mr. Nakamura's world history class. "Sorry, I'm not twenty-five percent Nigerian like you..." Terra snickered, "And I don't speak four languages fluently unlike your entire family." She set her backpack down, sat down, then continued to allow her brain to overflow with assumptions about LaMelo and Kalani's relationship. Worry, however, managed to leak free from Terra's forced curiosity. She worried about Melo and his trustworthiness—was he dedicated or in it for the sex?