3. A Refined Reality?

STUDENT-ATHLETE RESUME

CLASS OF 2019 (SOPHOMORE)NAME: LaMelo BallDATE OF BIRTH: 08

NAME: LaMelo Ball
DATE OF BIRTH: 08.22.2001
HEIGHT: 6'3" - 6'4"
SCHOOL: Chino Hills High School
STATE: California
SPORT-POSITION: Varsity Basketball - Point Guard
GPA: 4.0
COMMITTED TO: The University of California, Los Angeles

The next eight hours sped by at Chino Hills, and Kalani didn't experience any of it since her mother, Adriana, pulled her out of school after first period and before the announcements aired in front of the entire campus. She spent nearly the rest of the day stiffly lying in bed like a mummy in it's coffin. Her phone was switched off, the lights were off yet the natural light seeped into her room like river water inevitably flowing into a lake, and Kalani felt a compulsion to scratch herself. Her nails weren't razor-sharp or fake, but it was enough to do damage.

Her mind was completely blank and she did what her body said was okay—its neither bad nor good, she told herself in the sunlit room. A pill bottle was atop of a nearby nightstand and every night and morning she would battle her conscience on whether or not she should consume more than her daily dosage. A competition with herself had become a rivalry more detrimental than UCLA and USC's, the Lakers and Celtics', or El Clásico. It was like a duel to the death in her own mind that lacked a peaceful compromise. At times the doctor's orders appeared to be in favor for everyone except her and what she wanted, but Kalani never knew what she truly wanted.

Was it to live for herself or die for herself?

The question vibrated in her cranium like a catchy Bruno Mars song played several times on the radio, but it was never once answered by herself despite the rigorous bids she put forth into something so supposedly simple. Yet, it remained unknown to Kalani even if a genius like Leonardo Da Vinci or Isaac Newton declared her assumptions were more preposterous and abysmal than Donald J. Trump.

Still, Kalani's judgement remained nebulous in her colorful abode gone dark and maleficent even when her mother entered without knocking. She spoke softly, "Are you okay?" and waited for a response as she stared at her daughter's back. Worried, Adriana cautiously stepped to Kalani's bed and lightly laid a hand on her shoulder, checking to see if she was at least alive. Once her hand made contact with her child, Kalani inhaled deeper than usual.

"Exhale correctly." Adriana said. In a state like this, Kalani inhaling then exhaling incorrectly triggers a hurricane of suicidal thoughts worse than Hurricane Katrina inside her brain. She needed to exhale leisurely and without a rush.

"Take it slow..." Her mother watched as her shoulders slowly lowered and her body released carbon dioxide into the world. "Thank you for complying Lani." Her mother smiled. "Do you want anything to eat? I'll buy you whatever you want but I won't leave you here by yourself. Nevada is at volleyball practice and Vincent is at college—do you want me to call Terra over to accompany you?"